Gotcha!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotcha!

Still not fully comfortable/thrilled about doing nails, but I swear I will get there!
    Yesterday had two in with ultra long nails-y'know-the ones that curl to the side. In between the dancing, got all cut. And then I figure maybe I can get a little more, cuz they are still wwaayyyy long. Oops-so is the quick...'bloody' good time.
    Today another crazy. I have been doing her nails since she was a pup, and have never quicked her. But she has decided she doesn't want it done, and by gum she means it! Have carefully but determinedly not let go of her feet, but no way am I taking a snip at a moving target, and she has taken the same dislike to the dremel. Last time was truly a rodeo, but she would stop a moment and look at me to see if she thought she could win. So she didn't. Well today I realized my stand dryer is just sitting there, so I pulled it over and turned it on her head/neck. It was so novel that she almost forgot to fight! When she did it much more of a token resistance. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy new "toys" to distract her each month, but hooray for [email protected]!!!
    Neighbor now wants me to do whatever I have to in order to get her daschund's nails under control. Darn long pokey nose is much longer than her dear little legs. Not seeing how the GH setup is going to keep her darling little nose and tongue safely out of the way, so guess it's the hugging technique for her. Open to any other techniques/suggestions/references.

Have you tried a sling? There are several on the market. My favorite is one made out of fleece by a gal on Facebook. Let me know if you want more info. You can pm me.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Have a friend who works alone in her own shop and bought a sling. She loves it! Absolutely swears by it. We use a thing called a taco. It's a vinyl covered wedge that we use for dogs in surgery. Dog is upside down on the taco, I'm goes across the middle and you can do the nails . I've had to use it for elderly dog so I could do the bellies and chests, underarms and sanitarys

Comment

Looked at some pix of slings. Is it wrong that it made me laugh to see the dog suspended in the air? The expression is priceless!
        Honey-I am completely lost trying to picture the taco thing. Sounds intriguing though.

Comment

Yep a sling would work. I made my own. Wasn't going to pay 60 bucks for a $3 piece of fabric. It's awesome for those old dogs, who normally can barely stand, but become dissociative jumping beans when groomed.

Comment

Originally posted by poodlefeet View Post
            Looked at some pix of slings. Is it wrong that it made me laugh to see the dog suspended in the air? The expression is priceless!
            Honey-I am completely lost trying to picture the taco thing. Sounds intriguing though.
            Have used slings my whole grooming life......most dogs will go to sleep in them.
            Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Taco= take a long foam cube and cut a wedge down the length of one side. Leave a bit of a ledge on the wedge cut side for stability. Ours are covered in marine vinyl since they use them for ultrasounds and some small biopsy procedures in the clinic side. Never would have thought of using it until one of the techs was helping to hold an elderly semi crippled dog still for nail trim and pad shave and sani. It was much less stressful on the pet and faster ball around

Comment

I've had customers come in early when I've had their dogs sling.. and they've started laughing! One gal works at a vet's office and says.. "we have to get these, we could do one person nails!!"
                Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
                  Taco= take a long foam cube and cut a wedge down the length of one side. Leave a bit of a ledge on the wedge cut side for stability. Ours are covered in marine vinyl since they use them for ultrasounds and some small biopsy procedures in the clinic side. Never would have thought of using it until one of the techs was helping to hold an elderly semi crippled dog still for nail trim and pad shave and sani. It was much less stressful on the pet and faster ball around
                  I need a pic!!!!
                  Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by daesue View Post
                    I need a pic!!!!
                    Wish I could. I have. Ever been able to manage to post one. I'll try again.

Comment

What are the best grooming slings? I once had UPCO slings. They do not make them anymore.

Comment

You

Comment

Working...
                        X