Dont Pluck Ears?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont Pluck Ears?!

what do you do when a client asks you that.. esp on a dog that really really needs it..

If a client doesn't want it done, I do the happy dance and go about the rest of the groom! I hate doing it anyway!

Comment

Don't pluck them. I rarely pluck ears anyway and if the ear is full of hair, it is likely that plucking will aggrevate the ear causing shaking and possibly infection.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I very rarely pluck ears. I'll trim as much as I can with ball tip scissors. I have dogs I've groomed for years (including Std. Poodles) never plucked their ears and none of them have ear problems. I tell owners it's an old wives tale that it needs to be done and it's the Vets' job if thats what they want.
        I also won't flush ears. Let the Vet Tech rupture ear drums.

Comment

Dont do it and make a note on the owners file that they instructed you NOT to pluck the ears on XX-XX-XXXX. I have a wirefox terrier owner that I have always plucked the ears and her regular vet also told her to be sure her groomer plucked the ears. BUT her canine dermatologist recently told her to stop having the ears plucked, so that is what we are doing now. Per owners instructions from the dermatologist.

Comment

Would you trim dog's tail or ears if owner asked you not to but you thought it needed to be done? If you wanted to keep the client you would not.
            Do not pluck them. The dog will be fine and if he isn't it will be between the owner and the vet.

Comment

Hi TheycallmeMom,

Many vets today believe that the hair should not be plucked on a dog, or at least not plucked on all dogs. Plucking does cause a bit of inflammation which in some dogs can cause issues.

I personally go by the dog. If the ear is filled with hair and goop and it is apparent to me that the hair is keeping all the yuck inside, I will go ahead and pluck and clean it. If the ear looks healthy, I will usually scissor the hair inside or pluck the very loose dead hair but not go crazy plucking the hair that doesn't want to come right out.

If an owner asks me not to pluck it (usually if that happens it is because the vet recommended that) then I absolutely do not pluck it, but will let the owner know if I see anything that looks suspicious or stinky.

Comment

Listen to the Customer!

I do what the owner asks. If the owner doesn't say, I will go by the condition of the ears, if they are infected and full of hair, I will pluck & clean them. I also talked to my vet & he said that it should be done. Then again, you will get a different answer from every vet!

Comment

Look at this article I just found!

http://www.examiner.com/x-10491-Hous...g-what-is-best

Comment

I refuse to have any opinions (at least I refuse to vocalize them) on the matter. I tell people to ask their vets, and I do whatever the vets say to do.
                    The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

I always do what the owner asks. That being said I only pluck the hair comes out easily and I just use my fingers. Never had a complaint.

If I didn't pluck my poodles ears I'd have a persian rug in there. This guy can grow a mop! lol I absolutely must pluck his ears, no doubt about it. There are some dogs that do need to have it done and he is one of them.
                      www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                      http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I do what the client ask but I did try to inform him that it needed to be done ( the dog shakes her head afterwards) but the dog was matted from head to toe including INSIDE the ears. It drove me nuts not to do it..

It was interesting to learn that many of you dont pull ear hair on all dogs. I dont nit pick thin hairs, like I use to, but some dogs it would drive me nuts to not do it! LOL

I'll read that article.. Thanks

Comment

I pluck the ears if asked otherwise I prefer not to. Too many dogs out there nowadays that haven't had it done on a regular basis if at all.
                          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

I do what the client wants. Wish the vets here would read that article. They are all pluckers no matter what.
                            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grooming goddess View Post
                              If a client doesn't want it done, I do the happy dance and go about the rest of the groom! I hate doing it anyway!
                              LOL don't think I have ever had this request, but I sure would learn the happy dance if I ever do!

Seriously though, if a client requested I not pluck I definately wouldn't do them. I would tell them how I use my clippers and shears to thin the ear hair on a lot of clients and give them the option of my doing that.
                              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                              X