Shedding Worse SInce Grooming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shedding Worse SInce Grooming?

Was just talking with my neighbor/client. She has been bringing her large shorthaired (Lab type coat) dog to me for shedding help. She had been bringing him every 4 weeks. What puzzles me is she made the comment that it almost seems like the shedding is worse since she's been having him groomed. Hoping you all have some advice for me, as he is scheduled again this week (after an 8 week lapse due to her finances).
    Using all Best Shot products, a recirc, zoom groom and fingers seems to work the best on this boy, getting out crazy amounts of hair. I work him over (gently of course) but thoroughly through two shampoos and then conditioner( we spend a LOT of time in the tub), then use the finishing spray during the drying process. Plenty of hair comes out afterwards with the zoom groom. I have used a carding knife, tried a shedding blade, coat king type rake on the longer areas, and a pumice rock type stone. Slickers don't seem to remove any hair on him.
    I know the comment didn't come from a place of trying to get a discount or freebie. She is genuinely frustrated with the shedding, and I am unhappy to have a frustrated customer. Any help/advice ?

Excessive shedding can be the result of a medical issue. That can be a contributing factor. The excessive heat of the summer can be a contributing factor. Age can be a contributing factor. Once these items are all clarified then you can address the excessive shedding issue. Avdietary change can help. NI have a client Blaine that adding coconut oil to their pets food has improve the quality of the skin, coat and reduced shipping. Every dog is different – every situation is different. We have to try shotgun approach until we find the right answer.

Comment

Is it worse ALL the time or just a few days after grooming? Also how long has the monthly thing been going on? I always give my clients the two day caveat on a de-shed. The hair seems to release for two days following the bath.

Recently I took in two dogs whose family had been displaced by a fire. A shep/akita mix and a spaniel/sheltie. Both in dire need of grooming if for no other reason they smelled like smoke. De-shed the heck out of both of them but my house was a hairy mess for about three days after until it stopped almost completely.

Comment

I agree with both cocker and Honey. The warmth from the bath and dryer will cause more more hair to release. Might try a cooler bath and final rinse. Also agree diet could be an issue. Better quality food and a supplement might be in order. I like the Missing Link.
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

My guess would be that the bath stimulates the hair roots and any hair that was going to fall out in the near future, may just fall out earlier. If this mix dog has any blood of a lab in him, then we all know that labs shed year around. We are also entering the beginning of Fall, so the summer coat may be shedding out.

Happy grooming

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Never thought about a medical issue, but being hypothyroid myself I guess I should have. I'm maybe too quick to think it must be my fault-something I'm doing wrong. Have been doing the final rinse with cool water, but will try cooler water for bathing as well. This dog has been coming to me since March. It does sound like the shedding continues pretty much nonstop-better for a week or so after he's been here, then ramps up again. I will talk to her about food and consulting her veterinarian. Thank you for your input! And Karla-what's the Missing Link?

Comment

I own a big squishy lab. Love my Moses! That being said he sheds all the time. We mov3d to a different house. coat does the dog have? Slick and smooth or medium regular lab coat. Products that I have gotten feed back on #1 Iv San Bernard medium coat ( pricey but damn it's good had to stop using as primary though water change!) #2 Best shot but you said you are using it. Which one? #3 earthbath green tea and awipuhi shed control ( just got awesome feedback from my husbands parents. ) Definitely try a cooler bath not cold but cooler. Dogs run hotter than we do. What I have found works best for my own lab is adding a vitamin e and fish oil capsule ( I buy human) to his morning food. The missing link is good also. Making sure the dog is on a good food. She can also grind up eggs (shell and all in blender or f processor ) and scramble them to add to food. The egg itself is great. I also put warm water on my dogs food and allow it to absorb. I think of it like this, the body ,no matter what animal, is not meant to eat dehydrated food 24/7. She will definitely see a difference will take awhile but you know what when it boils down to it, she has a lab. They shed. Can't sugar coat that

Comment

Yup they do. When I groom my Lab for about 3 days after, he still sheds some, but then it quits and he's good till the next season change. He's on really good food, has no medical issues (first thing I checked). Labs shed its really just that simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Missing Link is a supplement.www. missinglinkproducts.com
                  Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
                    Missing Link is a supplement.www. missinglinkproducts.com
                    Sounds like a James Dean type boyfriend, but guess a supplement makes more sense. Will check it out.
                    Groomed the dog yesterday. Cooler water, and spent more time on the coat with the conditioner than with the shampoo. Once he was dry I went over him with carding knife then zoom groomed my arm off. Owner was really thrilled though that when she petted him "Not a single hair came off!" I did tell her what y'all said about shedding maybe continuing for a few days after the groom, and suggested that she consult her veterinarian to check for a medical issue and advice regarding food/supplements. Thought I saw a lightbulb go on over her head (the old illegal kind that don't require a hazmat team if you break one) at the mention of possible medical issues/food/supplements.
                    Thank you all for your help! I learn here every day!

Comment

Working...
                    X