Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairstorm

How would you handle this ?
    Last night I groomed a hairy little mixed breed (think border collie type) for a lovely woman who will squeeze a nickel 'til it *$!%*. Knowing the dog, I asked if she wanted her shed out, but she replied (both on the phone and in person) that the dog wasn't shedding as much as she had been, a bath was fine, but her main concern was a nail trim.
    I should have just done the nails and skipped the bath. Cuz if you wet 'em you gotta dry 'em. And the hairstorm that results from hving a heavily shedding doublecoat doesn't seem worth the extra $$! Sooo glad I purchased a mask! My shop took a hit, but at least my lungs didn't!
    For the record, she did have the grace to recognize the mess it made ( I purposely only cleaned some of the mess before she arrived) and asked the cost of my shedding out services. I gave her an "around" quote of my shop rate for 2 hours. She asked if it's ok to text me for an appointment, which is of course code for "I ain't payin' you that to brush my dog's fur out!" although I explained how well my method works and the benefits to her house and the dog.
    So assuming you would be charging more for a shed-out than a bath/blowdry, and your customer wants to pay as little as possible, do you opt out of the bath and suggest just the nails?

Customers like this don't stay long with my business and go elsewhere. Now beyond that, I advise them I can only provide a firm quote upon inspection of their pet onsite, but my normal rate is about ..... giving them a range, and that fee includes nails, ear inspection etc. When they arrive I do the inspection and give them a firm quote. So there is no surprises for anyone. If they balk, I just don't accept, well they don't, and some ask for a recommendation of another groomer. I would have also quoted a nails only price too. I remain real neutral if they start saying that's too much, I can get it done over at so and so's, whatever. When I started out I had this type and so glad went past it. My hairdresser doesn't bargain on prices for my hair, why would for pet owners?

You are so right about the shed treatment and bath. If you bathe in the shed you only make the condition worse. We must deshed to do a bath, sometimes they don't know this.

You deserve better clients and don't stress. State your plan for the groom, your prices and if they don't like it, give them a friendly goodbye and maybe a groomer referral.

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
      Customers like this don't stay long with my business and go elsewhere. Now beyond that, I advise them I can only provide a firm quote upon inspection of their pet onsite, but my normal rate is about ..... giving them a range, and that fee includes nails, ear inspection etc. When they arrive I do the inspection and give them a firm quote. So there is no surprises for anyone. If they balk, I just don't accept, well they don't, and some ask for a recommendation of another groomer. I would have also quoted a nails only price too. I remain real neutral if they start saying that's too much, I can get it done over at so and so's, whatever. When I started out I had this type and so glad went past it. My hairdresser doesn't bargain on prices for my hair, why would for pet owners?

You are so right about the shed treatment and bath. If you bathe in the shed you only make the condition worse. We must deshed to do a bath, sometimes they don't know this.

You deserve better clients and don't stress. State your plan for the groom, your prices and if they don't like it, give them a friendly goodbye and maybe a groomer referral.
      ^^^^THIS^^^^
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I guess I'm kinda confused why she was given a choice between a bath and a bath and de-shed? To me, leaving undercoat in would be like leaving the mats in. Maybe I misunderstood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't charge extra to de-shed. My prices include all work that needs to be done. (I charge by the hour)

In her case, she could have just the nails done for X $
          She could have nails and just brushed out for XX$
          Or she could have nails and bath, which would include brushing out shedding coat for XXX$

She couldn't have a bath without the brushing.

Comment

Just like dogma, I include the cost of good deschedding in the price of "bath and brush" for all breeds that shed.
            I hated it when we had to charge separate for "shed less treatment" when I worked at corporate, and of course, people did not want to pay extra, so there was not much we could do, but now I am my own boss, I include deschedding in price - from Chihuahuas to Huskies. If they say the price is too high and "it's cheaper at PetSmart" - well, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Thanks for the input. To clarify further, I also figure my groom prices by the hour. But I am new, and still slow, so I don't always charge the full amount (a hand scissor groom on my young poodle could easily cost $90. I KNOW that's too much!)
              I love the Jodi Murphy wet deshedding method-somehow wet dog hair clinging to my arms doesn't bother me, but hair flying all over the place does. Although I time every groom that I do, this dog was actually the first real hairy I have had, so I was very unsure about how long it would take. To avoid going over the $$ comfort level of the customer, I opted to not put the time into the deshed. I wonder though if the time spent working that coat out would have pretty much cancelled out the extra time it took to dry all that excess hair?
              Sometimes I am a slow learner, but I 'got' this lesson real quick. I am working on my website (and my shop 'rules') right now, and deshedding will be simply a part of the groom. Period. Not an option. A haircut is part of a groom for hair dogs, and a shed out is part of the groom for the shorthairs and doubles. (I love being my own boss!) It will take me about x amount of time to groom your dog. Nails only will be of course be an option, but I'm thinking other than that, they come into my shop, they're getting a bath.
              I think this customer will in future opt for nails only rather than pay me to do the work of helping to keep her house cleaner.

Comment

Totally agree with Bluedog. It isn't even a question. Leaving in undercoat is like leaving in mats.

For me a bath always comes with a blow dry. To me a de-shed goes farther with carding, undercoat rakes, coat kings. I pull out almost double what comes out in the blow dry in my de-shed method.

You need to reflect a 'blow dry' in your bath prices.

Comment

I agree with cockerlvr. A "blow-dry" takes out a lot of that undercoat which causes flying fur. A deshedding is additional as it requires me to spend EXTRA time pulling out even more hair than the blow dry does alone. I charge additional for the deshedding, but not the blow dry. Wear your mask anytime you are blowing out a big hairy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andromedaslove View Post
                    I agree with cockerlvr. A "blow-dry" takes out a lot of that undercoat which causes flying fur. A deshedding is additional as it requires me to spend EXTRA time pulling out even more hair than the blow dry does alone. I charge additional for the deshedding, but not the blow dry. Wear your mask anytime you are blowing out a big hairy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Yep I totally agree, deshed is an addon and a necessary one to do the groom/bath right.

Comment

Working...
                    X