No announcement yet.

Everything I thought I knew was a lie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything I thought I knew was a lie!

Two months ago, I made the switch from corporate to private. After such a short time, I kinda feel like everything I thought I knew about dog grooming was a lie.

I'm sure all the other former/current Pet***** groomers know how much they push the whole "mats must come out before the bath... water will make mats worse... blah blah blah" stuff they drill into your head as soon as you step foot into one of their salons. I know, I groomed there for 8 years. But now, that's all changed. Only two months at my new private shop and I am seeing that there are other ways- BETTER ways- of grooming. I've learned that most mats can and will come out fairly easily. (GASP!) All it takes is a soak in some good conditioner in the tub (DOUBLE GASP!), leave-in coat conditioner, and proper force drying technique. Then, they come out as if by magic with a slicker brush and some combing.

In the past week, I decided to put my new found knowledge to the test. I wanted to see how many dogs I could demat with my new technique when I would have otherwise said "that's going to have to be shaved out." (Please note that I'm not talking about severely matted dogs) My mind was blown. Every single dog's mats came out with nothing more than what I described above. I like this new way a lot better. I was especially pleased with the bernadoodle (who is only 30 pounds, believe it or not) that I groomed today. His chin was badly matted, as well as the insides of his front legs and his tail. In the past, I wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything other than spot shaving those mats. Today, I was able to brush them out easily and quickly after the bath. No pulling and tugging required. When all was said and done, I couldn't have pointed out to you where those mats were if you had a gun to my head. I feel like I unlocked some new master grooming level. I take a new pride in my work and get so much satisfaction out of it.

I don't know how or why I went the first 8 years of my career without questioning it, but I'm glad I'm finally starting to learn more and truly improve so I can become a master of my craft.

That's the Only Problem with corporate I had was that they have people who have never bathed a dog setting the policies knowing absolutely nothing about the job and they get offended when informed of policies that aren't safe or healthy for the dog. I Started at a Private Salon and tried corporate and quickly found out they Don't know what they're doing, even worse no interest in learning :/ from what i hear its been and is a downward spiral at most if not all corporate salons. Finding a Private Salon is the way to go for sure

Comment

Although I think there are plenty of private shops out there who are only open to doing things one way, congratulations on never being too old to ask why. Have you learned any new methods on deshedding a packed double coat rather than shaving as well?

Comment

That is why you should always read blogs, join groups, attend continuing education. Thats not how they did it at the academy is true in most things but doesnt mean it isnt correct! Welcome to the light!
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cferrari View Post
          I'm sure all the other former/current Pet***** groomers know how much they push the whole "mats must come out before the bath... water will make mats worse... blah blah blah" stuff they drill into your head as soon as you step foot into one of their salons..
          I've also been in corporate for 8 years... Must be a different one, because I've never read that policy, nor was I taught that way. In my time so far, we've had one groomer that functioned this way that would never correct no matter what the rest of us did or said.

Comment

I was taught in grooming school to pre-shave everything that gets 5 or shorter. Now I rarely if ever pre-shave. Even OAY shave down aussie mix I groom.
            By the way, in petsomething I worked at nobody stipulated dematting before bath, and every groomer I worked with there did everything different. Most pre-shaved and kennel dried, but some worked on each dog straight through. Depends on particular store, I guess.
            And yes, like Party said, never stop learning.

Comment

My instructor was a crazy "remove all mats and tangles before the bath!" type, but it depends on who teaches you and that doesn't mean you have to be like them when you are set out on your own. I learned pretty quick some coats could be saved by conditioner and the HV dryer. I have a rep at my salon for "just bathing everything" and it kind of horrifies my manger because she is all about pre-clipping, but there's nothing that says I have to do any pre-work such as removing all matting before a bath at my corp.

Comment

When I first started bathing at corp, I brushed dogs before the bath and was told that mats should never be washed. After a few months, I decided to make grooming my career and I started reading and researching. It made so much sense! What's going to be easier to deal with, a dirty mat or a clean one? How many times have I combed out my own knots in my hair in the shower with some conditioner?

Now, I put my dogs in the bath almost immediately. I've gotten a million times faster with my bath, dry, brush dogs. Keep on reading and researching. There's almost always someone out there who has a new and effective way of dealing with a problem you're facing!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                  That is why you should always read blogs, join groups, attend continuing education. Thats not how they did it at the academy is true in most things but doesnt mean it isnt correct! Welcome to the light!
                  This ^

Broaden your horizons and you will see there are multiple ways of getting the job done. There are so many new products and techniques to learn all the time. So don't limit yourself to what this new salon has taught you either. Get out there and keep learning!!

Comment

De -mat sprays, Les pooch brushes! I pretty much put everything straight in to the tub, or charge extra!! Wash, condition & then go at it. The difference between a a strip & a beautiful groom is a little elbow grease. Communicate with the client, tell them about extra $$$ to brush & give most mats an all American try!

Comment

Oh man, de-mat sprays! I just bought a gallon of Kelco's demat spray. It's my miracle worker. I am always amazed at how much it helps with mats. I don't know how I got along before I started using that spray.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a fan of Nature's Specialties Quicker Slicker. Thanks for the tip, Dragynwing, will definitely try Kelco's!

Comment

Working...
                        X