confused about when it's ok and not ok to bathe before the brush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused about when it's ok and not ok to bathe before the brush

I've read that certain breeds can't have this--especially those little soft-coated dogs. Some places it'll say do light dematting before the bath and heavy dematting in the bath, and other places it says just the opposite.....Ugh. There's alot of different info depending on where I look. So once and for all, what is the current rule for this, if anyone wants to clarify for the new people?

Thanks in advance

You will find that there is no "rule" to many things in grooming. It is usually what you are comfortable doing, and what is safe for you and the pet. As far as brushing before the bath, I rarely do it. If a dog is really matted, it gets shaved, usually before the bath. If it is a few matts here and there, they will go in the tub and the force dryer can really seperate some of them for me. I let the products and dryer do most of the work for me. Hope that helps!
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

There are very very few dogs that I do anything to before I bathe them. That includes shaving, dematting or deshedding. You can brush before the bath, but IMO it's a waste of time and you are breathing in dirt and dander. I do a LOT of my dematting and deshed treatments while the dog is actually being bathed. Works wonders if you use a recirc bather.
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

so are there any that do most of it before the bath

...or is that more of an old-fashioned way of doing things? I cannot figure out why I've heard of that from different places so maybe it's just dated info?

Comment

I very rarely brush or comb before the bath. Wet hair is more flexible. Mostly it's because I have spent a lot of money on my tools, I hate the wear and tears that dirty hair puts on them. Sometimes having clean, conditioned and wet hair helps to combing out process. Even still if I get to that point and decide not to try to demat I will shave the dog with the wet hair. So it doesn't matter the extent of the mats, I wash and condition first.
          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat/content.php

Melissa Verplank CMG also just wrote about this topic and more in GroomerTALK Magazine.
            Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

With Poodles and Bischons I will usually brush them out a bunch before the bath, just cause that is how I was trained, and never tried it differently, the most important thing with those breeds I think is just making sure you completely force-dry them after the bath.

Comment

I never brush, dematt, or comb before the bath. Never.
                A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

Originally posted by MydogMissy View Post
                  I never brush, dematt, or comb before the bath. Never.
                  Nor do I. I find my recirc does most of the "dematting" for me without hurting the dog. Conditioner is a wonderful thing.
                  "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                  People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                    http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat/content.php

Melissa Verplank CMG also just wrote about this topic and more in GroomerTALK Magazine.
                    This brings me to the magazine page, where do we go from here to find the article?

Comment

http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...0-Salvage-Work I believe it is that one.

Originally posted by dirty hairy View Post
                      This brings me to the magazine page, where do we go from here to find the article?
                      Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

After trying it, I don't demat or shed before the bath EVER anymore. If I'm not able to get a knot out in the tub while the dog is full of conditioner than I shave it out. In fact, I RARELY do much dematting anymore.... To me if the dog comes infrequently and in bad shape, it's pointless to save the coat since it will just turn into an endless painful cycle and the owners expect it every time. If I do I give a friendly lecture and charge extra ONCE, and if they come back again then the dog gets a smoothie.

I always throw the shedding ones in the tub first because the dryer blows SO MUCH of that coat out in a painless fashion that I couldn't imagine doing it differently! For the dogs who are scared of the dryer, either try wrapping a towel around the head (it works miracles you won't believe until you've tried it), or just do most of the brushing while the dog is loaded with shampoo or conditioner.

For poodles and bichons, same thing! That nasty 'matted' coat is just an illusion in most cases because the dirt and oils hold the hair clumped together. Once clean, the dryer separates that hair easily and even a true matted coat becomes easier to shave through because the dryer forces these knots away from the skin.

Not to mention you save your equipment, and the skin is now soft and supple which equals less irritation than going over dry dirty skin! Just try it and see... I WILL preclip a dog I know for sure can't be saved if it will save me time, but most times washing first and taking it off damp or even wet still yields better results.

The only thing I do before bath is the ears so the smell of cleaner isn't in the hair, and if I HAVE to pluck it's easier to do dry!

Comment

If water can get through it then I bathe first, so pretty much I always bathe first since I am way too new to do the super scary matted dogs.

Comment

luvpups is right on,,once in awhile I will loosen up areas like around the hocks, the tail base or under the ears so that I can get those areas good & clean in the tub,,but even then that's with ample dematting solution on the coat to help avoid breakage.
                            Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Nothing here gets touched with a brush or comb prior to the bath. NOTHING. Clippers either except for maybe once or twice a month someone here (NEVER me) will preshave something they don't want to bathe. If I catch them first.......they go to the tub anyway! With the products we have today and the bathing systems we use in here there is no reason to do any prepwork. I have THREE terriffic force dryers, Stazko spray, CherryBrook Spray, Prima-eque and recirc bathers.....no reason at ALL for prepwork.
                              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X