Badly matted collie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badly matted collie

A badly matted collie came into the shop today. The owner wanted two inches left on the dog, and I warned her I might not be able to do it, but I would try. Generally, I'm pretty decent at dematting. Unfortunately, after hours of working on the dog, I couldn't do anytihng to save the coat. I called to get the okay to shave him down with a 7, but she sounded upset. Her son picked up the dog and was very nice about the whole thing. I'm so worried this is going to come back to bite me in the butt! Did I handle this the right way?

It sounds like you did what you could. By worrying and being appologetic, you make it sound like it was your choice to shave the dog. In reality, it was the owner's choice to not care for their dog that necessitated shaving their dog. The owner had complete control over that. Their choice not to groom their dog, so their choice is what required the dog to be shaved. No appologies...you didn't do it! They may decide they don't want you to groom their dog again, and if so, you really have not lost anything. If this is a regular pattern for them, they are not going to be good clients anyway.

Comment

I would have done the same thing...if I can't brush out a dog in less than 30 minutes it gets shaved no matter what. If they don't come back no big loss; it's somebody elses issue NEXT YEAR!
      ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
      Apparently common sense isn't all that common
      *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Ya know I refuse to put a dog through that! I mean it is not because I'm to lazy to dematt but of all the times in the past I have, I felt so bad for the pet. I mean how would you like to stand on a table that long being dematted? Iif the dog is matted all over I will not dematt. If it is ina few areas of course I will.

Comment

Woulda said no anyway

I very rarely will do a 2 inch all over groom on a dog like that anyway it takes soo long to get all of that undercoat out even when you do HV it and brush it seems they never look nice and it takes FOREVER. I always tell them they can get a good "neaten up" or if the dog is matted it will have to be shaved. It's not fair to the dog, you or your other clients that have to wait because one owner failed to care for their dog. If they don't like it they will go somewhere else and get the same answer. Eventually we would hope the point will sink in with the owners.

Comment

Don't ya just love owners who refuse to touch their mutts with a brush for months on end, then throw a fit when you can't make 'em look like Lassie because their coat is one big chunk of felt?

Comment

Doubledogdare, I am really enjoying your posts lately. Quite a picture you draw with words.
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                Don't ya just love owners who refuse to touch their mutts with a brush for months on end, then throw a fit when you can't make 'em look like Lassie because their coat is one big chunk of felt?
                Agree!

I don't trim collies or any other breed (shelties, poms etc) down to 2". They never look right and all you are doing in taking off the top coat.

Very seldom have I had to shave a collie, Sammie due to severe matts, and I refuse to dematt them when in that condition. I give the owners no choice but to have them clipped down and start over. Will say I've had them walk out of my shop not happy that I refused to do the dog like they want. No big loss to me.

Comment

Update

Well, the owner of this badly matted collie left a message for my boss this weekend, demanding her money back. Keep in mnd it's been over two weeks since I had to shave down her collie. What really surprised me is that my boss is going to do it! She's going to dock my next paycheck the amount of my commission on this dog.

My boss seems to be willing to bend over backwards for each and every customer, even those who I personally would "fire." When I owned my own shop a couple years back (had to close due to economy), I learned that some customers aren't worth keeping. In my opinion, the owner of this collie, who expected that I would demat her big hairy, falls into that category. Maybe it's just me, but if you aren't willing to care for a dog's coat (especially a full-coated collie!), you shouldn't demand a refund on a haircut you agreed to.

Do I have any say in the refund as an independent contractor? The most I'd be willing to do is offer her a free bath and brush, but my boss wants to give her a full refund.

Comment

Originally posted by gloaming View Post
                    Do I have any say in the refund as an independent contractor? The most I'd be willing to do is offer her a free bath and brush, but my boss wants to give her a full refund.
                    No...you have no say in whether or not the "boss" refunds money....that is totally her call.

I will tell you what you might have a strong say in however...and that is whether or not so much as 1 cent is "docked" from your paycheck.

Now...once again, I am confused reading your post as to whether you are a true IC or not, as you use "my boss" and "independent contractor" somewhat interchangeably.

I will tell you this...if you are an employee, generally, the Government frowns heavily on anyone other than themselves taking money from your paycheck. Period. If your employer (or whatever) feels she is owed this money from you...she needs to pursue it in Small Claims Court and let a Judge decide. There are laws on the books about these types of situations.

I (at the age of 19) sued a former employer in Small Claims for $26.00 she deducted from my paycheck when she decided she was due that money based on some whacky principle. I tacked on an extra $1,000.00...based on MY principle that she was a crook and deserved to pay me punitive damages for trying to rip me off.
                    The Judge agreed with me and I won a judgement for $1026.00. Which I collected every penny of.

Now if, on the other hand, you are a true IC...I believe the law may view that as her stealing from you. Which she is.

Get familiar with the laws, and tell her she can either suck up the refund, as it was her decision, or you will be pursuing YOUR money in a court of law and let a Judge make the determination.
                    I would strongly recommend (as a goodwill gesture) that you advise her as to what the law is before pursuing it legally.

This could get murky is if you are one of those "grey area" IC's, in which case...things could get considerably more complicated, or if you signed any sort of contract that spells out in advance, exactly how these situations willl be approached between you and the "boss".

Good luck.
                    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Working...
                    X