Doodle me this, Doodle me that......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doodle me this, Doodle me that......

Just venting...lol. Why is it that people insist upon getting goldendoodles and not brushing them????? We had this one customer with a "miniature goldendoodle" puppy. He was 5 months old the first time she decided to get him groomed. She told me to spot shave the matts only. He was very tightly matted to the skin on his front legs, around his neck where his collar sits, his entire underside, his chest, and the underside of his face. When all was said and done, he looked like he was wearing a cape. If someone saw him, I wouldn't have even wanted her to tell people that I had groomed him. LOL. I explained to the owner the importance of brushing and combing down to the skin. He came in matted the same way 2 more times after that. Both times, I again explained about the brushing. The last time he was in, everything was completely matted. He had to be shaved down all over one length. The owner was not happy about the shavedown. I told her it was time for her to go elsewhere.
    We have so many doodles. We always get the famous phrase "Don't make him/her look like a poodle." LOL. It's as if they feel touching thier dog with the clippers is gonna make them into a poodle in a continental clip. I also think it's funny when they look at pics of my standard poodles and say "Don't make my dog look like that." I wanna tell them that I couldn't make thier mutts look like my beautiful awesome quality poodles if I tried.Haha.

And once again on dogs 101 on Animal Planet this weekend the highlighted the Doodle and what low maintainence they were in the grooming department. I was sitting on the couch yelling at the TV saying this is why they all come in matted they are still telling everyone they don't need much grooming.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
      And once again on dogs 101 on Animal Planet this weekend the highlighted the Doodle and what low maintainence they were in the grooming department. I was sitting on the couch yelling at the TV saying this is why they all come in matted they are still telling everyone they don't need much grooming.
      I have doodles owners tell me all the time that this breed does not shed so the breeder said it only needs to be brushed once or twice a month! They always come in matted and are always shocked by their "smoothie" cuts!!! When someone calls with a doodle the first question I ask is , "is it matted?" and "When was the last professional grooming?" They can be alot of work and I charge accordingly!

Comment

I hear all the time that doodles dont shed and dont need brushing. I just tell the owners then dont be suprised when you get a big grooming bill for your lack of up keep on the coat. I explain that I can not change the matted coat to a new coat, because my majic wand does not carry their color. I ask them if they have a pencil and chew the wood around it can they ever make it smooth. it is the same with the broken hair in the mat. I do not demate them. Alot leave, but call back in a week or so for a shave down.

Comment

cha...ching!!!

Yup, got a call this week for a labradoodle, 1 year old...never been groomed.......breeder assured them that no grooming was needed!!!! I booked out about 3 hours.....haven't seen him yet.......

Comment

The breeder lies to them. I read a website that says the Goldendoodle only needs to be groomed once or twice a year. They also said not to worry about mats, just brush over them. No wonder owners are so confused when they get to us. I tell the owners they need to brush out at least once a week if they want to keep them long.
            "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

!

I had a goldendoodle this week. She's sweet, but about 80#. I saw her 6 weeks ago for a bath, minor trim. Talked to the owner at the time, I groom her St. Poodle too - an ancient poodle with poms on her legs, but the rest of her is a #5 - no biggie, but old old poodle. Owner really trusts me. So I suggested the "wet shave" for her goldendoodle. (I know I know...we're all split on wet shaving, but I wanted to actually TRY it - I'm sure it's hard on blades and boy I got concerned about being electrocuted.) She wants her doodle being "doodlie"

So I saw her Saturday. Thank God she agreed to the wet shave - I got a #4 through her, when if dry would've been a #7 shave down! I bathed her, let her shake, and sprayed her with "THE STUFF." Then went to clipping (what a mess, BTW) then stuck her in front of a fan for the curls to set back in. Had to dry a few spots around her feet, but wanted a natural, rough, scruffy look. scissored the few long hairs sticking out, scissored feet, head, thinning sheared/tipped out ears so they looked like they hadn't been cut but were shorter so as not to get in food bowl.

She went home rough and scruffy. If someone wanted a tidy poodle cut this WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IT. But it was what the owner wanted, dog was clean, no matts, and in a week will probably look PERFECT according to a doodle look idea. Owner was thrilled.

Still not sure I'm ok with the wet clip. I immediately cleaned & oiled my blades, will see how they hold up after. I may end up keeping a seperate clipper/blade set for wet clipping.

No matter what you do, I think a big part of keeping these dogs scruffy is NOT brush/hand drying.

Comment

I have two Golden doodle puswith one more groom before

next Nov. They live in a small Rv and the dogs stay great for two weeks then I B&B them. I have used THE STUFF and last time Coat handler and the people actually brush the dogs and give them special good food and even NU Vet. The other groomer sold them on it. So my only concern is the size and lifting when they are adults. Very good not crazy at all. She pays well and will pay more when I trim. They don't not react to the clippers without the blade near the head or anywhere at all. She says they don't shed and don't mat, but it is either my grooms and products and the brushing. 2 weeks intervals however must also be a big factor. These folks are very responsible owners.

Comment

Originally posted by arlaede View Post
                  Still not sure I'm ok with the wet clip. I immediately cleaned & oiled my blades, will see how they hold up after. I may end up keeping a seperate clipper/blade set for wet clipping.
                  Laubes are the best ones for it because they don't rust. I have a couple Andis blades and I'm really unhappy with how fast they get rusty.
                  "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Working...
                  X