Overwhelmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwhelmed

Have been booking clients back in after closure on ‘worst first’ basis. Small dogs have been reasonable, but the double coat giants are truly messes.
    Picked up a new Newfie client. Excessively long coat everywhere except spine, and shed that does not want to release. Using Best Shot, recirc, hv, but mostly have to brush/comb. Very weird, will blow somewhat loose, but not out. Actual mats got a 10 blade. After 3 hours the big girl still needs a lot of work, but I sent her home with a followup appointment.
    Dog leads a very water oriented lifestyle- pool, pond, river. Sounds like Newfie heaven except for that way out of control coat. If she were a doodle I would shave it all off and then keep her short.
    That rediculously long coat is a definite contributor to the problem, and I believe shortening it up will significantly help overall.
    Thoughts?
    Suggestions ?

What a chore. I think it is good you limit to 3 hours max. I have had a big Great Pyrs that once most of coat was salvageable but it took several 2 hour sessions dematting 80% of it before I even gave the bath, and then it did blow out. The owner did not get the dog wet during the dry comb out days.

Comment

Interesting I don't hear groomers talk about this much. I learned the hard way. Some intense coats have to be "broken up" more before counting on a product to help blow out matts and Newfie is one for sure. Glad you are up for it but as long as that dog is still getting wet what a seesaw. I think yankee is spot on. Before it gets in the water again needs to "repair" the present condition. Hang in there, what a chore!

Comment

Good thoughts, thank you. What with the covid craziness it is two weeks before I can get her in again. Hot weather, am certain she will be in water. Seriously thinking about shortening up that coat. Maybe some rough trimming before I work on the shed?
        Owner needs education for sure, got it from a backyard breeder, making money not quality dogs, not concerned that new owner knew what they were getting in to. I used to roll my eyes at the questionnaire many breeders have you fill out. Now I get it.

Comment

I have to give you props for putting forth the effort to brush and demat. I have thought about offering something like that to clients but I don't believe customers would want to pay what I would charge, especially not knowing exactly how many sessions it would require, and then having the availability to book back to back appointments with out weeks inbetween for the dog to get all dirty and gross.

As I have stated in prior post, I HATE shaving DC dogs, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.
          It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
          Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Oh heck no. I've done it many times, but really just say no now. Sadly I dismissed a full coated Samoyed owner I tried five ways to Friday to train and even gave steep discounts to. He finally pushed me over the edge this week after year and a half into our bumpy grooming relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post

As I have stated in prior post, I HATE shaving DC dogs, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.
              Fearfully toying with it. Once upon a time I had a Newf that I shaved down every year. Wouldn’t want to wver do that again, but once? Maybe? Think I will call owner to discuss.

Comment

Working...
              X