• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • henrythe8th
    Toy Member
    • Apr 2008

In what states

Is it illegal to do color? I googled and found nothing except SC and FLA, and of course the city of Boulder, CO. How do you find out?
  • Debbiedogs
    Grand Champion & Club 5,000
    • Sep 2007

Color your dog???

LOL, color your dog and see what happens???

Comment

• henrythe8th
      Toy Member
      • Apr 2008

Dang I was hoping for an answer...

Perhaps: In what states is it illegal to dye dogs.

Comment

• arlaede
        Standard Member & Club 1,000
        • Jan 2009

So did you find it is illegal in FL??? Now I'm curious And of course I want to get hair dye

Comment

• henrythe8th
          Toy Member
          • Apr 2008

the groomers from FL that post on here say its illegal, as well as SC. That is as helpful as I can be regarding those 2 states, lol. Guess I could call the humane society and find out, just thought of that.

Comment

• Particentral
            Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
            • Sep 2007

As far as I can remember, the states that it is illegal in are FL and SC and the city of BOulder CO...cannot say I have ever heard of it being enforced, but the threat of it was enough for the NDGAA to cancel creative grooming at their FL shows and SC shows as well.

the laws were originally anacted to prevent the sying of chicks and bunnies and the law reads that for no commercial purpose" may an animal be dyed, but that is vague and open to a wide interpretation. It can mean anything from advertising to charging to dye the animal to dying it to make it more saleable.

There was a move a few years ago to get it overturned but it lost momentum as it is not a priority.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

• Admin
              Administrator
              • Dec 2006

There was a case where someone was charged in 2008, but just don't remember the state. A fine was issued.
              Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

• catgroomer
                Miniature Member
                • Jan 2008

The groomer charged a fine in 2008 was in Colorado.

In SC the law states that dying of chicks and bunnies is prohibited but it also contains the phrase, "and any other animal." As Parti said, it was intended to stop the influx of Easter-time imports of colorful balls of fur that soon grow up to lose their pastel down, grow feathers, and generally become not-so-good pets (at least in the case of the cute little chickies.)

A friend of mine is a state Senator here in SC, and, several years ago, he asked me if I would like to work to get that law changed. I fully intended to at the time, but then figured I'd let a sleeping dog lie. (pun intended) However, now that the groomer in Seneca, SC has received a great deal of publicity and the legalities of creative coloring are made known, I think the time has come to work toward that end.

That being said, most ppl here are totally unaware of the law and, if they do know about it, could care less. Even my law enforcement clients think it's cool and tell me they have bigger fish to fry than hunting down groomers that paint Clemson paws on cats' butts or turn their poodles blue.

That being said, creative grooming is now receiving a lot of publicity and will continue to do so with the airing of programs such as the one Animal Planet is running in June. AR wackos will get riled up, I'm sure. This will give them something new to pounce on, a new opportunity for validation. And there are always the ignorant folks in the general public who will label creative grooming as abuse simply because they don't like it, don't understand it, and know nothing about it.

Comment

• Maltese_mama
                  Miniature Member
                  • Nov 2008

I was able to look it up on the city website. The entire city code is available.

Comment

• Mufassah's Mom
                    Puppy Member
                    • Oct 2010

I live in Michigan and was planning on dyeing my American Eskimo like a skunk for Halloween. We live own a horse boarding/dog boarding/grooming facility and my little stinker feels compelled to roll in horse poo shortly after grooming. I thought it would be a cute solution to an ongoing problem and would tie in with our Halloween costumes for the family. Within 10 minutes of posting my idea, my animal control officer friend objected stating that it is illegal. I'm doing my research, as she can be somewhat of an alarmist, but was shocked to hear of such a thing. I see abuse and neglect cases frequently. I am sought out to help find homes for animals that have been rejected by their families. I love my dog like I love my own children and I can be prosecuted for dyeing his hair?! Lord, I started dying my daughter's hair when she was 13 and nobody said anything negative about that! Don't even get me started on the real world offenses, such as teenage kids running around with metal sticking out of anything they can dream of piercing. Long story short, has anyone heard of it being illegal in Michigan?

Comment

• SwissNChow
                      • Jan 2007

dyeing animals is illegal in Oklahoma. I have seen a case where a groomer was charged for coloring a dog.

Comment

• Mufassah's Mom
                        Puppy Member
                        • Oct 2010

Legal in Michigan

After a bunch of research and phone calls, I have found out that the State of Michigan allows dogs to be dyed. Phew.....I guess Mufassah will be a skunk for Halloween afterall

Comment

• sheilabgroomer
                          Champion Member & Club 1,000
                          • Jan 2007

A few years ago a woman got in trouble for having her dog (St Poo I think) dyed pink for marching in a breast cancer parade in Clemson. I don't remember the details of it, but after she got in trouble was when I quit playing w/"stenciling" my dogs because I didn't want to have to deal w/a nonsense fine and/or bad publicity. I totally get why the laws were written and understand that it was for a good purpose. It's seems kinda silly though that using safe dyes for temporary creative grooming styles falls under the same catagory as unethically or harmfully boosting the color for selling animals.
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

• odette
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
                            dyeing animals is illegal in Oklahoma. I have seen a case where a groomer was charged for coloring a dog.
                            We do it any hoo, it started as a way to stop easter chicks and bunnies from being doused in chemical vats.Where was the groomer charged,what town?
                            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Working...
                            X