What I saw on the SC News, this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I saw on the SC News, this week

While cooking dinner the other night, a story about a groomer came on. I got all excited to watch something positive about grooming, on the news. They showed a groomer who did creative coloring on a few of her shop clients and she really did good work. I'm thinking, “Wow this is really cool”, but at the end of the airing, they stated that coloring any animal is a misdemeanor. Oh my, until this is changed, don’t think I’ll be adding this service. I would have never thought, there was a law against this creativity and wondered what could be done about it. Any thoughts?

We need to educate the public that what we use is not harmful to the pet.

Comment

Yep, I saw that segment also. I knew that it wasn't legal in S.C. and just wondered why she would want to show what she was doing on the news. I did think that she was very talented and the dog they showed looked great. I just don't think I would have had the nerve to show it on the news with it being illegal. I guess she has more Balls than me.
      ~*~Robin~*~
      "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by SharPeiMom View Post
        Yep, I saw that segment also. I knew that it wasn't legal in S.C. and just wondered why she would want to show what she was doing on the news. I did think that she was very talented and the dog they showed looked great. I just don't think I would have had the nerve to show it on the news with it being illegal. I guess she has more Balls than me.
        Yep, more balls then me too, lol.

Comment

Here in FL. it is illegal, that is why Creative is no longer a competitive class at the fun in the Sun seminar. It goes back to the little ducks and chicks that are given as gifrs for Easter. The thinking is that all dyeing of animals is crueal and shouldn't be done...period!

sittingpretty

Comment

?????

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post
            Here in FL. it is illegal, that is why Creative is no longer a competitive class at the fun in the Sun seminar. It goes back to the little ducks and chicks that are given as gifrs for Easter. The thinking is that all dyeing of animals is crueal and shouldn't be done...period!

sittingpretty
            I thought they just fed the little chickies fruit loops.

what do they think we use on the dogs? and for that matter, what are they using on the chicks?

Comment

the groomer in Seneca who was filmed on WYFF did not know it was illegal. If she had, I think she would have opted out of the publicity. She only learned that AFTER the segment was filmed and is now receiving all sorts of flack from it - not legal flack, but negative comments from some in the general public who think it is abusive and absurd.

One thing I have learned over the years is that, especially with the advent of the internet, people are quick to make assumptions about something and get all in a dither over it, passing judgement and declaring it "bad."

This happens to me everytime something airs or is published about my pet hair handbags. It has become almost hilarious. People actually think I kill cats simply to collect their pelt to make a handbag. I should be in jail, they scream at me. As if I am killing off my clients one by one. This would sort of defeat the purpose of having a grooming salon, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I do feel bad for the groomer in Seneca. I think she had no idea of the response she would get. Of course, the whole point of the segment was that she was turning her dog into a giraffe or zebra for the purpose of taking it to a school as a sort of therapy for some disabled children. What a great thing to do in your spare time! She should be commended for that.

Comment

Anyway, I do feel bad for the groomer in Seneca. I think she had no idea of the response she would get. Of course, the whole point of the segment was that she was turning her dog into a giraffe or zebra for the purpose of taking it to a school as a sort of therapy for some disabled children. What a great thing to do in your spare time! She should be commended for that.[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry that she is going through all that. You're right she should be commended. Looked like she did beautiful work, too.
                ~*~Robin~*~
                "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

I didn't see the segment, but heard about it from a client who was rather outraged that a groomer could be so cruel to dogs. A few years ago I had a regular client bring me pictures of creative grooms that he found on the internet. He was quite furious about it and told me in no uncertain terms that if I EVER did anything like that to Maggie he take her elsewhere. I was kinda shocked by how upset and mad he was because he is usually Mr Sweet and Mellow.

For some reason so many people think this is harmful or abusive to the animal. They don't realize that the dog has no understanding of what is being "created". To them it's just a haircut and lots of attention. The dogs that are used in these competitions are well used to being worked on and are conditioned to being on the grooming table for a long time. If these people that are so outraged by creative grooming would just observe the dogs while they are on the tables, they would probably see that they are relaxed and comfortable and even seem to enjoy the attention.
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

Showing the public the real side of creative grooming is what I think the show extreme poodles is aiming for, unlike the uneducated remark of the NY groomer who thought we keep our dogs on the table for 30 hours to do a job, get real her people, we love our dogs and they enjoy the bonding and pampering time that they get.
                    The goal set here is to show the general public this . Our dogs are dogs, they run they play and darn it they even dig (usually right after a bath or rain) they chew bones and many of them are rescues from the very types of people who want to scream cruelty!

Comment

Who makes the laws...

I'm not sure who or where you go to to discuss a law change... I know it's a lengthy process, but obviously someone took the time to go through it to create the law, so if someone goes through it to uncreate the law, it could be done...

Why don't all the SC or FL groomers from this board get together and create some sort of presentation.. It could still be illegal to sell an animal that has been colored. That's fine. It could also be illegal to use anything other than vegetable based, non-toxic dies... that's fine too. But if enough people band together and talk to the right people, why can't it get reversed. It may cost some money, but even if it's 5000 bucks (i'm just pulling a number out of the air), and there's 500 groomers trying to change the law... it'll only cost them 100 each. and it's probably a write off...

If anything grooming related should be illegal it should be dematting... any matt MUST be cut out, legally.. hehe... I bet once all those ears and tails get shaved off, people would start brushing .hehe.

Comment

a little history on chicken dyeing

I am a new dyer of knine hair, but as for chicks and chickens that is a whole different story, and I professional rasie show chickens and make as much in prize money as those who show dogs. chick dye was originally was use to make the chicks that come from a certain hen, say if you had 24 rode island red hens and 5 roosters and you breed 6 hens to each rooster you would but the number of the rooster on the cage and for each hens clutch you would dye that clutchs chicks a certain color to keep track of that hens chicks until they come of age that they are large enought to put leg bands on and the not fall of. its a really good way to keep good breeding records without having the need to put each hen her own seperate pen. which takes up a lot of room on your property, and more time feeding and watering and such. But the reason that alot of states made it illegal, was that the larger commerical breeders dyed them to make them more appealing to those customers that weren't farmers and such, so they could sell more to a larger audience. but I agree that those law such as staining or dyeing your pets should be changed, as the pet is your property and as long as the pet is not being harmed or is in any danger than I think our tax dollors should be put to better use such as catching real crimimals and not harrassing those who are perfect law-abiding citizens, and voters!

Comment

Personally I think the laws against dying animals are silly. Even against dying chickens or ducks, as the dye grows out by the time they molt. As long as there is nothing harmful in the dyes, who cares? Why don't we spend the money set aside to enforce that silly law, into enforcing real animal cruelty and getting rid of puppy mills?

Comment

I had the news come out today for this same reason. There was a woman who was cited and ignored the citation so a warrant was issued for her. The news was curious for another groomers opinion on the matter. Luckily I live right outside of city limits so the law has not applied to myself directly Oklahoma city coloring is illegal and transporting colored animals is illegal. I was more than happy to inform them of AKC shows where dogs are color enhanced as well as horse and cattle shows , in Oklahoma these happen nearly every weekend. I understand the original law for the safety of poulty and rabbits during the easter weekend. I even understand not selling colored animals. Hopefully the laws can be worded in a manner that can protect groomers rights when doing what a client wants, if we wont do it chances are they will and knowing a dogs coat and skin condition is key when doing any coloring. Hopefully this will air in a public light, and not rouse extremists.

Comment

Working...
                            X