Coloring techniques....please help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coloring techniques....please help?

I apologize because I am sure that these questions have been asked a zillion times on here, but I could not find one thread that really specified the whole process of coloring a dog.

So, my boss really wants us to offer coloring services. I have been grooming a while, but have never done this before. I did experiment with one of my dogs, and it didn't take. I tried to color my cocker's mohawk using Manic Panic - the color completely washed out! I did read on here that MP does not work on all types of coats, so.....

I guess my first question would be, what color do most of you use? And how much extra time do you allow to color a dog? I don't even know how long to leave the color on. And if you have to wash and dry the dog first, THEN apply color, and THEN wash out and dry again, that's a long process. Unless you are just coloring a bit on the dog's head....I assume that you should just wash the head and dry it, apply color, and then when you wash out the color on the head, wash the whole dog. Sorry...just thinking out loud here. I am trying to figure out how to do this in the most efficient way possible. When I tried to color my dog's head, I stupidly dried his entire body while the color sat and then tried to just rinse off the color on his head....his front legs got all wet again and I had to dry them all over again. Hmmmph!

Anyone, anyone? I'd be grateful for any advice here. Thanks so much.

I always apply the color to the hair prior to washing. I guess I was always under the assumption that, like human hair, the color sticks better on dirty hair. I have used the pink MP on my dog with great results doing it that way. BTW, to make the color vibrant I left it on about a half hour. It worked well.
    Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
    Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

I always thought that too, doggydivas, but I DID read on here that you should always apply to a clean coat. So, who knows? I have done it both ways - I will say that the color did seem more vibrant on a dog that was washed first.

This is why I am trying to find out what the best technique actually is....

Comment

color color!

Originally posted by RachelBlue View Post
        I apologize because I am sure that these questions have been asked a zillion times on here, but I could not find one thread that really specified the whole process of coloring a dog.

So, my boss really wants us to offer coloring services. I have been grooming a while, but have never done this before. I did experiment with one of my dogs, and it didn't take. I tried to color my cocker's mohawk using Manic Panic - the color completely washed out! I did read on here that MP does not work on all types of coats, so.....

I guess my first question would be, what color do most of you use? And how much extra time do you allow to color a dog? I don't even know how long to leave the color on. And if you have to wash and dry the dog first, THEN apply color, and THEN wash out and dry again, that's a long process. Unless you are just coloring a bit on the dog's head....I assume that you should just wash the head and dry it, apply color, and then when you wash out the color on the head, wash the whole dog. Sorry...just thinking out loud here. I am trying to figure out how to do this in the most efficient way possible. When I tried to color my dog's head, I stupidly dried his entire body while the color sat and then tried to just rinse off the color on his head....his front legs got all wet again and I had to dry them all over again. Hmmmph!

Anyone, anyone? I'd be grateful for any advice here. Thanks so much.

my dog had his dye in since late sept '09.
        we do the dye before the wash.. and blow dry the dye in before washing....we use some korean dye.. and all i can say its quite pretty :P

btw.. we charge 10 per section.
        ears + tail = 30 :P

Comment

I too am new at this

I got some advice from another groomer who said it was smart when dyeing the ears and tail to wrap them in aluminum foil so if the dog shakes the paint wont get all over him. lol. I would have had to learn the hard way. lol.

I really want to learn to do the panda pattern. A girl just came in with her dog, who is open to color and said I can practice on her dog. I'm so excited, but a little nervous at the same time. I'm not much of an artist, but really would love to excel in creative grooming.

I heard of a dye called Dyex it is a little pricey but they say it really comes out nice.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
          X