Weird color? Or not??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird color? Or not??

Just wondering what you would call the coloring on this cocker? Is it a blue merle? Is this normal or would it be considered an unusual color? Just curious...my client adopted this cocker a few weeks ago. He is a little over a year old. She wanted to leave the fringe on the top of his head so...don't ask. I do several cockers but have never seen this coloring so thought maybe someone could enlighten me! Thanks, gottalovegracie
    Attached Files

I saw a web page with "designer danes" this color along with harlequin with brindle spots. Looks like some kind of merle to me...very cute though

Comment

Looks merele to me, I wonder what was crossed in to get the color? Look at the muzzle, not cockerish, not even english cocker. Might be the angle,but the nose looks upturned.
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

looks like a wild dog I LOVE IT

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
          Look at the muzzle, not cockerish, not even english cocker. Might be the angle,but the nose looks upturned.
          I was thinking the same thing...upturned nose and "oddly" shaped muzzle.
          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Hmmm? I don't know that much about them to know about the upturned nose...let me see if I can find a different angle to help?? He was adopted thru a cocker rescue but idk? Don't know if either of these help at all but anyway...he is pretty strange I think.
            Attached Files

Comment

Cute dog, looks like Huckleberry Hound!!!

Comment

The brown hair is likely from an injury or bleaching from the sun or something. He looks Roan to me, not merle, but it is hard to say for sure. Merles are born black (in the black parts) and the merling comes out later from what I was told and that is why it is hard to say Merle or Roan in many cases. The face is fine for a cocker, just looks like his bite is off or he has a non show face. Nothing about that dog other than coloring says not cocker to me. Cocker rescues will take cocker mixes as well in many cases FYI.

On second thought though, my son pointed out it could be an odd marked tricolor dog. there are some out there that the tri markings are in odd places.....I have even seen spotted dogs with buff colring with black spots....let me see if I can find the picture of crazy quilt....
                Last edited by Particentral; 01-30-10, 06:22 AM.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I would say some kind of merle. Gorgeous color.

Comment

Here are some interesting photos of merle cockers.

http://www.merleinfo.com/photos.html
                    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Originally posted by luvpups View Post
                      Here are some interesting photos of merle cockers.

http://www.merleinfo.com/photos.html
                      Very cool colors! So I'm guessing it's a tri merle? While we're on the subject, what makes a cocker "parti"?? I told you I could fit all my cocker knowledge on my pinkie nail!! lol Sorry for the stupid questions!

Comment

Based on the link posted by luvpups it looks like he is either a black tan merle or a black tri merle. I had a beautiful blue merle cocker customer once. His eyes were such a beautiful blue. He had a lot of anxiety issues during his first grooms (like peeing all over the table, sigh) but by the third groom I was able to do a complete groom. Silly cockers.

Comment

A parti colored dog is a white dog with colored patches. NOT a black dog with a few white spots, but a white dog with few color patches, regardless of color. the amount of color is n ot to exceed 90% but must be more than 10%. This pretty much applies to poodles as well as many other breeds.
                          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                            A parti colored dog is a white dog with colored patches. NOT a black dog with a few white spots, but a white dog with few color patches, regardless of color. the amount of color is n ot to exceed 90% but must be more than 10%. This pretty much applies to poodles as well as many other breeds.
                            Wow...thanks. Learn something new everyday! Esp on this board!

Comment

Working...
                            X