Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Water Dog

Hi!

My client has a Spanish Water Dog. I groomed it the other day and they loved it, it's still pretty short coated so I bathed it and fan dried it without brushing it. She looked really good considering I'm used to brushing the dogs!

My client is interested in trying to put her in short cords. After reading up on this I'm not sure it's a great idea since this dog likes to SWIM. I may encourage her to just cord the topknot, keep her curly and clip her down once or twice a year.

Any ideas?

Hmmmm- looks very interesting.
    Attached Files
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Cording

Good luck if these owners want to go ahead and try the cording, it may prove to be a big job if the dog swims alot. I have to separate all of the cords when I bathe my St.P. so I'd assume someone may need to do this after the swimming. Maybe the top knot would be a nice way to find out how they like it and if they want to take on the challenge of full cords.

My St.P. isn't really interested in swimming so I do not have a problem with this, but I'd like to encourage him to swim. However, I won't be trying this until he is naked (not sure when that will happen.)

What is a Spanish Water Dog? Do you mean a Portugese Water dog?

good luck,
      sittingpretty

Comment

I groomed one of these once....as I remember, their coat naturally cords very easily....I think you could leave the top of the head and the tail in cords, but it would be hard (at least on the one I groomed) to leave the coat with much length at all if you don't want it to cord up....I groom a couple of pulis and I leave them about an inch long in a puppy cut....but I am pretty sure I couldn't have done that with the Spanish. Post some pix if you can so we can all see! Not a breed we run into often here in the States!

Comment

WOW !

that is some coat, thanks for the photo, Windy. I had not seen one before. I can see why they'd like to have it corded, it would look great, but I think it would be alot of work.

GOOD LUCK

sittingpretty

Comment

LOL, that's what I thought first too, but it is it's own breed

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post
            Good luck if these owners want to go ahead and try the cording, it may prove to be a big job if the dog swims alot. I have to separate all of the cords when I bathe my St.P. so I'd assume someone may need to do this after the swimming. Maybe the top knot would be a nice way to find out how they like it and if they want to take on the challenge of full cords.

My St.P. isn't really interested in swimming so I do not have a problem with this, but I'd like to encourage him to swim. However, I won't be trying this until he is naked (not sure when that will happen.)

What is a Spanish Water Dog? Do you mean a Portugese Water dog?

good luck,
            sittingpretty

Comment

Word of advice
              Dogs with cords can and will drown--the cords absorb water just like a sponge dog gets tired faster then other breeds.

(many corded Pulik have drowned when they went swimming)

As per the breed website

http://www.spanishwaterdog.org/index...=breed-profile

"Grooming
              The SWD requires little grooming, the coat should never be brushed or combed. At least once a year the coat should be evenly sheared from the entirebody much like shearing sheep-twice per year is not uncommon. During the phase when the SWD coat is coat is cording more work is requried to assisit proper cording and to prevent the cords from matting near the skin....."

I'm assuming the coat is different from the Pulik/Komonders coat because we dont shear our dogs once a year as a must!
              Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

I'm in the process of cording one right now. The customer is my husbands work buddy and lives right down the street so it was convenient for him to come in a couple times a week when I started. It was a lot of work to get them all separated in the beginning but now he just comes in once a week and I get through them fairly quick. I work on her after all my other dogs are done so I'm not on any kind of time restraint. I give her lots of treats too and now she LOVES to come in. I would recommend the owners do research on their own to decide if they want a corded dog before you do all the work. It takes a long time for the cords to take proper shape. Also SWD have a few different coat types in the standard and some cord easier then others. I found some good videos before I got started that helped me out a lot. I'm doing 1/4" cords on her and trying to get them all uniform so that she'll get the right look. It's my first time cording a dog so it's been a learning experience but fortunately I have my boss who's been grooming since she was a kid to help me out. I did buzz her entire belly and armpits it just seemed more sanitary and I didn't want to be tugging at her more sensitive parts.

Comment

Working...
                X