Puli cording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puli cording?

I had a lady come in today with a five month old puli puppy. It looked like he had a good start of cords starting on his neck, head and back legs but from about the last rib to his tail was a solid mat. Is it possible to start cording with the matting? I know cords are mats anyways but this is a solid mat. Also, how do I charge for cording? Is it per hour?

Puli cording

Hello. I've been a groomer, and show handler for 15 years. I had the oportunity to cord a Puli a couple of years ago. I had a blast. Unfortunately I had to shave the dog down completely first as the customer had been told to leave the dog alone from several people(not). Once the dog started growing coat back, and small matts started forming I was able to start the cording process. If the owner doesn't mind some shaving I think that would be your best bet, then start over. Can you spot shave without stripping? It actually took me 1 1/2 years to get the cords just right, but the end result was great.

Comment

NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo

Don't clip the coat!! Split those mats into sections about 1" x 1" and that forms the base of a cord. As it grows out you snip the ends off and the cords form from the matting. There's a yahoo group for cording [email protected]-for those interested in cording and corded dogs that I suggest you join. On there you will find archives, tips on cording, a wonderful book and some very helpful people full of info. Have fun with it! It will take a Puli about 18-24 months to cord properly so have fun with it!

Comment

Split the matts, wash, air dry and resplit, tell the owners to keep them split

Most Pulik puppy go through the "Buffalo Stage" its where a sections matts first and the rest haven't it svery ugly and looks like it should be shaved.

Also try contacting the Puli Club or America for cording info.
        Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

I agree, don't shave. Split the mats, wash, air dry and split again. Cording is just controlled matting anyway, lol.

My only Puli was just in last week. She had some areas where the cords needed to be pulled apart at the skin. Easy but time consuming. Had to go over the whole dog, cord by cord, to find the areas that needed work.

Due to an injury, she's had to have her face shaved. If she doesn't look cute with all those cords on top of her head pulled up and tied, with that clean face underneath, I don't know what does.

Comment

Nod,nod -- no clipping and no mattsplitter. Split the matts by hand from the end towards the skin. Know how cloth is torn by hand? Same method but veeery gently. Start with hand splitting the flat matts into smaller ones then into cord-like sections. Then comes the fun of training cords~

Comment

no clipping. spit the mats and as they get longer they will form the cord. make sure they are not matted at the skin though..so there should be app. 1/4-1/2 inch of unmatted hair at the skin. trim as needed.

Comment

I've used a "U" shaped envelope opener to split cords with-works just fine! You'll go through a "public ridicule" stage where the dog looks like heck but that passes soon enough.

Comment

We use a crochet needle slide in under the matt (there should be plenty of space as Puli don't matt at the skin) and spilt the matt/cord by hand until you see the needle

Be careful on ears the leather can be spilt very easily and also be careful on the tail

Comment

Originally posted by bow_wow_wheels View Post
                    I've used a "U" shaped envelope opener to split cords with-works just fine! You'll go through a "public ridicule" stage where the dog looks like heck but that passes soon enough.
                    i know what you mean by that. those puli puppies look like they havent seen a comb in five years. its actually pretty funny, people probably would approach you (or the owner) and ask when the last time the dog was groomed.
                    anyway..the really important part is to inform the owner that they have to keep the cords separated (which can be very time consuming for both you and the owner) and matt free at the skin (yes they basically are "organized matts" but ORGANIZED is the key word). they must be well maintained or you will have to shave it. also..if you are planning on grooming this dog on a monthly basis, be prepared to spend lots of time blowing the dog dry! they take like 24 hours to dry so you wont get the dog dry all the way. also..these dogs tend to get stinky pretty quickly. just for your information.

Comment

The best way to dry a Puli in a humid climate is.

squeeze the cords out in the tub as best you can
                      Wire crate with lots of towels
                      2-3 big box type fans
                      1-2 dehumidifers
                      change towels when they are soaked

Should take about 6-8 hours depending in coat type and cord thickness
                      In dryer climates its about 3-6 hrs

Comment

Thank you

I can't believe how easy it was. You guys really helped me out here. I had this incredible urge to brush and dry this dog.lol. This puppy behaved really good! When the people dropped the dog off they treated me like I have never seen a Puli before.....but when they picked her up they were amased how she looked and booked her next appt for a month.

Comment

Puli Puli Puli!

I know this is a long dead thread, but I couldn't resist - I love Pulis! We have one who comes in for regular de-stinkifying. His name is Toker, and I don't think I've ever met such a happy character! His face has had to be shaved a couple tims because his puppy pall kept chewing on the hair and making it go solid with matts, but otherwise his cording is still intact from puppyhood. I do shave his tummy because he is a leg lifter, and that seems to help prolong the time in which he doesn't stink.

Drying tip - I don't bother with a force dryer at all. Instead, I line a crate with towels, put him in, and set up two dryers on the crate - one hot, one cold. Then I give him a break every hour, and change out the towels. The first two sets will be dripping, but they get drier and drier as you go. I've cut his drying time from 7 hours to 4 hours this way!

Comment

Originally posted by bow_wow_wheels View Post
                            Don't clip the coat!! Split those mats into sections about 1" x 1" and that forms the base of a cord. As it grows out you snip the ends off and the cords form from the matting. There's a yahoo group for cording [email protected]-for those interested in cording and corded dogs that I suggest you join. On there you will find archives, tips on cording, a wonderful book and some very helpful people full of info. Have fun with it! It will take a Puli about 18-24 months to cord properly so have fun with it!
                            >>>>>>>>>

You split the cord with an older heavier shear into 3/4 to 1" on the end and then pull them gently apart. Kind of like tearing a piece of cloth. Be careful when pulling you don't want to pull to fast, or too hard, it'll hurt their skin, especially be careful around ears and tails.

Comment

Puli Pup tomorrow

so i have a 5 month old coming in tomorrow for cording. I've bathed and dried the dog x2 already, but now the cording should be starting. How do I "make" the cords? just wait till they mat then separate? Or do I actually make it mat???

Comment

Working...
                              X