Ahhhhhh......YORKIES!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhhhh......YORKIES!!!

Recently I have had an abundance of small, whispy greasy Yorkies. Of all the breeds I groom Yorkies seem to be my nemesis. I have never been good at them. Most of them hug the table, look down when tipping ears and setting chin and the hair just NEVER lays correctly. I have watched Jodi Murphy's video for the 100th time today and still want to fire all the little Sliky buggers. Jodi makes it look sooooo easy. But I keep telling myself that if the coats of the Yorkies I groomed were that good it would be easier for me too.....I even stooped to You Tube videos for any advice on the type of coats I am dealing with.....HELP!
    Does anyone groom the type where the face hair is so sparce that it sticks straight out to the side and the back of the hair on the ears is almost non existent? When taking a Guard Comb over the dog the hair just lays down and you back comb and guard, back comb and guard and then follow up with combing and thinning and it still looks choppy? I know it is easier to reverse clip but what if they want a 1" on the body? That is the longest guard I have. And I also know that clipper vacs are great but I don't have one so that advice isn't very helpful either. I know I can't be the only one out there that has this trouble. What do you guys do??? I am grooming 2 today and I really, really want to call in sick....but being the owner of the salon I have no on to call....lol
    I will tell you in advance the products I use on these guys. I use B3 shampoo and use the shampoo straight on the face, ears, feet and bum (this stuff makes a great degreaser) and that is it. I don't use conditioner because it weighs it down more. and when I blow dry I dry against the grain to give the hair a little more lift.....should I try a little gel and dry it into the coat for lift? I am afraid to use any products like that for fear it will muck up my equipment. but if that is what it takes I will! Sorry to rant but it seems Yorkies have overtaken the Shih's in my salon and I feel like I am putting out **** work with them.....Thanks in advance
    Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
    Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

I can never get those little Yorkies to look right either, but I do remember a while back, someone suggested clipping the hair while it's dirty, before the bath. I tried it and it does help. I would rather groom a 100 lb golden than a 3 lb yorkie,,,lol

Comment

Yup clipper vacs make them lovely

Comment

I can help you. Basically you are doing just about everything the same way I do...but you are missing 2 critical things.
        A kitchen timer and a large towel.

Here's what I do.

After the dog is bathed and dried...and on my table, ready to be clipped, I place the timer to my right..(or your left, if you are left-handed). I set the timer for 27 minutes, and clip/scissor/trim the dog.

When the timer goes "baaaaaa-zinga", time is up, and the dog is done.
        Place the dog in a crate or kennel...and cover the door with a towel.

The towel serves to protect your eyes from seeing the haircut every time you turn around, and also prevents the groaning that accompanies seeing the haircut.

Before I adopted this method...I would take all day on the type of Yorkie you describe.
        Since I've started doing this...I can easily groom 16 of them in 8.5 hours.

Another good tip...is when you are finished, put a Newfie sized bandanna on the dog.
        Yes...it does look kinda like a very large cape, but it's really, really cute, and also serves to protect your eyes from the haircut you gave.

Hope this helps.
        Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

*giggles* I'm definitely going to have to try that 4Sibes! Sounds much better than the stressing I've been doing.

Comment

Lololololo

4sibes, you are precious! Where do you come up with these funny answers? Is your entire family funny? Do you have brothers and or sisters that are funny too. Does your family appreciate your humor?

Comment

4Sibes you are too frigging funny. I was all ready for some great advice and I was thinking now what would she use the towel and timer for to help. Seems like good advice though lol. I find even picking a yorkie up to give to the parents makes its hair look like **** again.

Comment

Sibes,, thats about the funniest thing I have ever seen, I love it!!! I am putting a kitchen timer on my shoping list,,,lmao

Comment

I get a LOT of yorkies, and I didn't use to, so I think I must be getting good at them, lol. I also use B3, on the greasy ones I'll wash TWICE. Really scrub. I usually use NS's Hair Raiser as my styling spray because it's light. I use a human blow dryer on them to get them 100% dry and it seems to help a bunch on yorkie coats. Finally, and probably the biggest help, my Wahl SS combs with my vac system!!! Also, thinning shears!
                  Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

4SIBES had me LMAO as usual that's what I need to do with yorkies and Malteses like the one I did last week. If the people weren't there I would have picked away at her legs til they looked like toothpicks cause I couldn't get them nice.

Comment

Ditto what 4 Sibes said.

Most of mine get an 8 1/2 blade on the back for a modified Cocker trim blended to a skirt, or I just pull the hair up and hand scissor it all over then use blending shears. The 8 1/2 blade really lets that silk hair feed through the blade teeth for a nice smooth trim.

Dont forget to tell the owners their dog has fine hair like corn silk..and its hard to make it look good because it has no texture and shows every little mark.

Comment

Ill see your greasey lil yourky and raise you a greasy lumpy cocker with gas and bad skin thats all I get anymore! you are luckier than me just remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                          Place the dog in a crate or kennel...and cover the door with a towel.

The towel serves to protect your eyes from seeing the haircut every time you turn around, and also prevents the groaning that accompanies seeing the haircut.

Thank you soooo much for this info. I have my timer in my bag ready to go. And I wanted to say that I really appreciated the towel idea. Not only will that stop you from groaning every time you see the dog. It will also keep you from continually putting the dog away and then getting it back out to "fix things" 5 or 6 times.......sigh, I sure wish I could "think outside of the box" like you do

Comment

Originally posted by k2p1e View Post
                            Yup clipper vacs make them lovely
                            awww, thanks soooo much for that advice....I never thought of that LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogmom View Post
                              I usually use NS's Hair Raiser as my styling spray because it's light. !
                              What is that and where do I get some?

Comment

Working...
                              X