Yorkie with undercoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkie with undercoat?

I groom a Biewer yorkie every 2 weeks and she gets a thorough blow out and combing every time. Girl loses her coat like CRAZY! Like, about every time I run the comb through it picks up a bunch of loose hair. Lately I've been using a dullish Mars Coat King on her....and she STILL is losing a ton of coat! She has a lot of coat still, does not have any bald spots, and it doesn't seem really to be getting any thinner. The stuff I'm pulling out looks a lot like undercoat...but I've been told my entire life Yorkies don't have undercoats! Does the Biewer mutation change that? I feel like I'm going insane. LOL!
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

I have always figured the so-called "Brewer Mutation" was actually due to a cross-breeding with another breed done at some point in time, and that is what is responsible for the spotted coloration you see in such "Yorkies".

As the likely spotted suspects in such a cross all have coats that sport undercoat, it stands to reason the spotted "Yorkies" would carry undercoat as well.

Comment

My guess is that she has another breed lurking in her, since this seems to be the case with a lot of other breeds of unusual colors.

Comment

I groom several "wooly" yorkies that have undercoat. I layer strip them.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Well, Not having groomed one of these Biewer yet, I don't know much except I wonder if they did n ot add a different breed in the formation to get the different coat colour? I see dogs with unusual coats not typical for their breeds often. I groom a schnauzer of very good type and temperment,a black,with silver points. His coat is thick and fluffy,and nice to scissor, but has no wire in it at all. I don't bother doing any stri[pping,or much pre-working his coat to card out the blown stuff cause he doesn't have any! And Westies,yorkies, from the pet stores,or for profit only breeders often have coats very different than they should too. There are lots of Westies around with long backs,long heads,huge ears,and thin single coats. And yorkies that even though reg'd look more like silkies.
          "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
          Quote:Cath

Comment

When someone says "Yorkies don't have undercoat" what they're talking about is the correct coat for a Yorkie. Some do, and it's not correct, but it's there.

It's like red Rotties or Malamutes with a blue eye. It's not correct, but it can happen just the same.

Comment

I groom a couple of Biewers and they just have typical Yorkie coat, no undercoat.

Kat

Comment

Im not sure what a Biewer Yorkie is, but I do several of these cotton like coats on yorkies and it does seem like undercoat. Im not sure what the answer is except to keep brushing to keep it on the thinner side but it seems that every two weeks is little much to be loosing that much coat. Maybe you should ask the owner about the dogs diet or vitamin intake?

Comment

I confess

I confess that I don't know about this type of dog, but am suspicious about the claim that it is simply a "mutation". Methinks there could have been another dog on the property somewhere that got to Mama that time to produce the markings....and who knows what is going on since then to keep up the difference?

They are certainly not Yorkies as we are used to from the photos I have seen, so whether it is a mutation or a mix, I would guess they are not as standardized in their breeding. I do a Yorkie that seems to have secondary coat/undercoat, and she kind of looks like she could be part Norwich Terrier, but who knows? The fact seems to be that you are dealing with undercoat, like it or not, and so are the owners - ugh!

Comment

DNA testing has confirmed that the Biewer Yorkie is, indeed, a Yorkie. There is no other breed involved. The coloration is the result of an extremely rare recessive gene that existed in only a small number of dogs. It simply took two such dogs to find their way into the same breeding program, and the result was the expression of a gene that has been hidden for generations. I'm sure one can understand that if only a handfull of dogs with the recessive gene existed it's not unusual that no one was aware the gene existed.

Seriously folks, we really should do our research before making such pronouncements as some have made in this thread. If I can find the information in about 5 minutes, so can everyone else. Imagine how YOU would feel if you happened to have something like a Biewer or a red Rottie (yes, they too exist, and are all Rottie) and someone stated that they must be crossed with some other breed.

Comment

I groom many yorkies that have undercoat. It is a variation in coat. It is not correct coat for yorkie or Brewer yorkie, but genes for it are in the both breeds.

Comment

ALso, Mr. Beiwar was a respeted Yorkie Judge and entered them ad pure bred yorkies after they occured. He owned no other breed at the time from my understanding. Google it and read the history. I am convinced it is a pure bred of a different color, unlike the merle cockers that ALL trace back to one kennel that also raised shelties!
                        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X