Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 8 months too old to start hand stripping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 8 months too old to start hand stripping?

I got a call from a guy with an 8 month old Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. He wants it hand stripped, because his breeder told him it should be done, but he hasn't bothered to follow through on that suggestion until just now. *facepalm*
    I haven't seen the dog yet, but is 8 months too old to start? Any advice?

The man was uninterested in regular grooming, but instead wants me to strip out the whole coat in each visit, with several months between appointments. Is that practical for a Griffon or should I just send him packing?

I only just learned how to strip, on a Westie, but this breed looks pretty easy from what I can gather via Internet research. Hopefully you guys can help me out--my boss will not be too happy if I turn this guy down. He's waving fistfuls of money in our faces, lol.

Originally posted by plaidjaguar View Post
    He's waving fistfuls of money in our faces, lol.
    He'd better be if he wants him stripped to his pyjamas 2-3 times a year and that's it. What an idiot. That's likely half a day's work on just the one dog, make sure you charge accordingly.

Comment

Generally they pull easy and have very little hair. It should be easy enough. And if hes used to being handled no problem. At tbat age the coat should be "blown" and pretty much fall out. I wouldn't go ton js but get off the long stuff and go from there.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Purrsephone View Post
        He'd better be if he wants him stripped to his pyjamas 2-3 times a year and that's it. What an idiot. That's likely half a day's work on just the one dog, make sure you charge accordingly.
        Yeah, I quoted him our regular grooming price plus a nice high hourly stripping fee. I'm not going to do more than the pup can handle, though, so it's likely he won't get finished the first time.

Honestly, who buys a purebred puppy without doing the slightest bit of research into its grooming requirements? He actually asked me what hand stripping was, right after he said his breeder told him they needed it. Why the heck didn't you ask your breeder, smart guy? Holy cow.

Comment

Originally posted by plaidjaguar View Post
          He actually asked me what hand stripping was, right after he said his breeder told him they needed it. Why the heck didn't you ask your breeder, smart guy? Holy cow.
          Because he didnt want to act stupid in front of them and they didnt offer to explain, so IMO the BREEDER was just s much to blame. The people I know who raise these show buyers and explain what needs doing. They SHOW THEM how the hair pulls and why its important. Its not just an off the cuff remark.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Ans I want to say as well that I know a plantation here in our area that uses these dogs and they NEVER groom them other than bathing them. the hair gets to a point and either falls out or breaks off. They have zero stripping or clipping done and ZERO skin issues. The coat WILL generally speaking, fall out when its blown. On its own. A blown coat pulls in about 30 minutes.

Comment

Thanks Parti, that's good to hear. I knew that WPGs were a lot less work than the pattern stripped breeds. I'm glad to hear this guy won't suffer coat or skin problems due to his owner's foolishness.

And I agree, his breeder should have shown him. This is something any owner should be able to do on their own, with a little bit of know how.

Comment

Glad to hear they're easier than Irish Terriers, that's what I'm used to!

Comment

Yah you wont have any problems with this dog. You could most likely run a coat king over him and he would be just dandy! I used to show gwps and at one time showed and had a wpg. Easy pie.

Comment

arent you suppose to card this kind of coat/??? and then handstrip the face only??
                    If you prick us, do we not bleed? -w.m. Shakespeare

Comment

Yes, that's what you're supposed to do, but this guy wanted him stripped to his skivvies so he wouldn't have to come in for grooming as often. >(

I ended up running a pumice stone over the whole dog, then stripped out the longer hairs on the body. I tried to strip his head, but he's utterly untrained and it was impossible. He looked really cute, though. Fortunately this breed is supposed to be scruffy!

Comment

Working...
                      X