I did my first Welsh Terrier yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did my first Welsh Terrier yesterday

I have never even seen one in real life. The customer was referred to me and I told him I had never groomed one but I was willing to try if he would be patient with me. It was a beautiful 4 mo old puppy. Very sweet, but wiggly as expected. I studied the standard a week before he came and watched several dvds. I know they should be hand stripped but I used a #10 on the tight areas and did a lot of blending into the legs. Owner was very pleased and puppy did well for first groom. She was great for ears and face which I thought would make her crazy.....oddly it was the sani cut she went wild on....lol. I loved this dog and look forward to grooming her for a long time......

If anyone has any advice or tips I would love to hear it.

A #10 is awfully short, IMO. they're supposed to look "natural". I prefer a #4 on the body, #7 on the head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You don't have to over-think Welshies. You can groom them the same way you groom a WFT and you'll be fine.

If you did use a #10 on the body, yeah, I'd agree with Bluedog, that would be a little short.

Comment

I'm new to writing here (since the last of Feb.), and being the terrier nut I am, smiled to see your post. I have been grooming a naughty little Welsh for about a year now. She hasn't been groomed since before Christmas and I will be working on her next week/finishing her on the 24th (being boarded 'til then). I usually use a blue ss Wahl snap on for the body and either a 5 on the neck/chest and rear angulation and on the underside of the tail. 7f on head/cheeks against grain and scissor legs after using the peach wahl ss comb to knock off some of the length. I will take some pics and try to add them. Maybe she'll be messy enough I can enter her in the Rags to Riches contest!? Remember small divided eyebrows, I learned that the lower jaw is clipped from corner of mouth to mid-way to flew, not quite all the way like the Wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
          You don't have to over-think Welshies. You can groom them the same way you groom a WFT and you'll be fine.

If you did use a #10 on the body, yeah, I'd agree with Bluedog, that would be a little short.
          Interesting. We've had a handful of Welsh and I see them around, but I've never met a WFT in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
            Interesting. We've had a handful of Welsh and I see them around, but I've never met a WFT in my life.
            Or, for that matter, you can groom them like an Airedale .

It is all the same basic terrier cut, tweaked to the owner's preference, of course.

Comment

THanks for the replies........the reason I used the #10 is that the owner kept emphasising "tight" body and neck.......I did cringe a little using the 10 but the 7 left the hair long enough to look wavy and fuzzy....Do you think it is because she still has puppy hair. I want to do it right and appreciate all your help

Comment

Working...
              X