Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayzeemay
    replied
    @dbt she looks great! I would never have known she isn't good for grooming.
    @amanda Ummmm did you say a parson terrier with a staffy? Whoa. I'm gonna have to google it now. I can't wrap my brain around such a beast.

Leave a comment:

• DBT
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070044.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1119708I only do one Welsh Terrier and she is a land shark. I cheat and do her like this....first I just wash & dry the whole lot. Then i do her sanitary clip, clean ears, cut nails, then 10#ears, reverse 7# head,cheeks,throat etc.... Then i back brush her legs and run the yellow SS attachment over them & also comb up her beard and run the yellow over that too. Then I use the dark blue SS attachment to clip her saddle blending into her legs & underline...yes i do the longer clip on the legs first, much easier to blend. Then I do any tidy up work which isn't much..just feet & face and any sticky outers. This takes me approx 1 to 11/4 hrs...and then I take a deep breath and sit down for a minute because it wears me out dodging teeth!
    here is Macey before & after. I wish she was a good girl for grooming and I could strip her, then she'd look totally awesome instead.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• NeveahsMommy
    replied
    Originally posted by neVar View Post

Course last week i had a "patterdale" terrier on the books. Now a friend of mine has a lovely patterdale (several championships under his belt at terrier shows, hunts and shows him)

and this is what walked in LOL
    http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...4_538400_n.jpg

LOL Was not expecting that that picture lol!!!

Dayzeemay: They're terriers that look like a Parson Russell Terrier bred with an American Staffordshire Terrier. Definitely not resembling Yorkshires!

Leave a comment:

• wendtd
    replied
    All I'm going to say is how cute is she? That is an adorable job neVar. You did great. I am sure you will get great tips from the experts, but you did a wonderful job on that little dog. I don't get many terriers either. I'm so thankful I have a client who comes in every 4 weeks and she's a lovely purebred West Highland White Terrier. Mostly, I will get mixes. I've never had a welsh or an airdale or lakeland. Someday...

Leave a comment:

• Dayzeemay
    replied
    What is a patterdale?

Leave a comment:

• neVar
    replied
    Thanks guys. I Had no clue this girl was coming in (they booked her the night before after i called to see what i had booked in) so she was a SURPRISE.

Course last week i had a "patterdale" terrier on the books. Now a friend of mine has a lovely patterdale (several championships under his belt at terrier shows, hunts and shows him)

and this is what walked in LOL
    http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...4_538400_n.jpg

Leave a comment:

• wendtd
    replied
    Oh neVar. That pup is so gorgeous. Wow. What a wonderful job you did. I recently groomed my first Westie and I'm just loving having her to work on. I keep getting better. But you never had a Welsh before and she looks FABULOUS. I'm so impressed.

Leave a comment:

• Debbiedogs
    replied
    If you show -

You can look at other long-legged Terriers at a show, like Wire Fox and Airedales, to see the tightness of the legs, shoulder, hips and furnishings on the chest/belly. Also, you will see the tighter heads, which will help your lines and length. There are just a few differences in each of these heads, so a lot of the basics will be similar.

Or go to AKC.org and check out the breed photos and web sites of recommended breeders - usually they will have some winning show photos, so you will see what you are aiming for.

Here's a link to a page with some nicely groomed show dogs: http://www.hotchin.net/welshterrier/...s/default.html. I used to print out a great-looking photo of a dog I was not familiar with doing from memory, and refer to it during the groom - it's amazing how much more "finished" a dog can look by doing this, even if you are not familiar with the breed!

Leave a comment:

• neVar
    replied
    Thanks for the tips! I've never even seen a welsh in person around here (and i show a fair bit) not a popular dog by any means in this area.

Leave a comment:

• Dolly
    replied
    The first thing that I have noticed is that you didn't take the blade (hopefully a #5F) down to the hock on the back legs. I would also shorten up the skirt, the length shouldn't be longer than the front elbow and angle up towards the tuck-up. I would make the hair on the legs shorter too. The eyebrows should be cut short, starting at the outside of the eye, point the straight scissors towards the mussel. Use a #7F on the head and throat, #10 on the outside ears, #30-40 on the inside of ears. Use a #10 on the lower jaw to the front canine teethClick image for larger version

Name:	Groomed Dogs 266.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1118641Click image for larger version

Name:	Groomed Dogs 267.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1118642, to give it that gotee. Always remember that terriers were originally bred to "dig" up small prey, so their nails are ALWAYS long, be careful when trimming any terrier's nails since the quick grows out towards the tip further than other breeds. Your best, and cheapest, education is purchasing Jodi Murphy's DVD on Welsh Terrier Grooming.

I think you did a great job on your first Welsh........

Happy Welsh Grooming

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Leave a comment:

• neVar
    started a topic First ever welsh

First ever welsh

Jeese wish i had known ahead of time this dog was coming in i would have watched the vid on learn2groom first LOL. I never get to do terriers- there just isn'ta lot of them around- last i saw a schnauzer was almost a year ago.

So armed with my notes book this is what i got. Dog hasn't been groomed except by her owner since she was a puppy (Dog broke leg falling off the table at the groomers her first time out mom hadn't taken her back since) minus some major issues getting her nails done (well now we know why her mom has decided now's a good time to get her done LOL)

Things i notice- my lines need to be blended more. There was a LOT of matting up on her body/haunches/chest area. My line on the chest isn't rightand i know that- but we had some matts that had to go that would not brush out . Not sure about the head. wish i'd gotten a side shot of it. She didn't want her 'too square' in the face.

I think she looks pretty decent- but would love some critiques so i can get better- i'm hoping she'll come back in again
    Before and after
    Attached Files
Working...
X