Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsh terrier

Hi guys I need a little help.

I have a new client that has a 6 month welsh puppy and I have convinced her to let me strip him since a lot of people would rather just get them clipped.

I am great at stripping the body and setting the pattern but I am not good at stripping the head.....This is NOT a show dog so can I just clip the head and ears.....and with what blade? 10 ears 7 head/neck?

I was trying to have her hold off till I go to Groom expo and learn the terrier head but she wants him done before then.

What stripping knife is best for fine work like the head and ears?

How often should he get stripped?

Thanks

To keep in a decent condition I would do the dog once a every 4 weeks and I personally would use a 7F on the head neck and ears.

Comment

OK

Originally posted by dgpaw View Post
      To keep in a decent condition I would do the dog once a every 4 weeks and I personally would use a 7F on the head neck and ears.
      Thanks Lisa

Comment

Your welcome!!!! have fun I love the Welsh Terriers!!

Comment

I'm jealous!! I haven't seen a welsh in years. With all the new breeds that are coming into the salon, I can only hope to see one in the near future.
          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

I agree with the four week interval and also with clipping the head and ears. To really look "typical" the head and ears must be kept shorter than the body coat and if the body coat is stripped every four weeks you would never get the opportunity to properly "roll" the head and ears to keep them looking really nice.

Show dogs have their heads and ears stripped but they are being worked on constantly, not just every few weeks. So that is an entirely different situation. So, if you don't have access to the dog almost weekly, the most logical way to go is clipping.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
              I agree with the four week interval and also with clipping the head and ears. To really look "typical" the head and ears must be kept shorter than the body coat and if the body coat is stripped every four weeks you would never get the opportunity to properly "roll" the head and ears to keep them looking really nice.

Show dogs have their heads and ears stripped but they are being worked on constantly, not just every few weeks. So that is an entirely different situation. So, if you don't have access to the dog almost weekly, the most logical way to go is clipping.
              I didn't know that if he was a show dog he would need that much attention especially on the ears/head.

I am taking the class in Hershey on Terriers hoping to gain a lot more knowledge on hand stripping this breed.

Thanks

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X