Standard Schnauzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Schnauzer

I groom one of these, he's a very nice dog, especially since he's not groomed that often. I think he was last in (before he came in last week) over 4 months ago...actually I think it was October '07!

Anyway, the only mats really were in his underbelly/inner thigh area. His coat was VERY wirey and he was a LOOKER!

Here's the deal. The owner just has him clipper cut, but the hair is SOOOOOOOO thick, and soooo much blown undercoat. I didn't now they HAD undercoat, I guess that's why they're not a miniature schnauzer.

He got this dog in England, not sure if he's a 'nicer' specimen or not. Sorry I had no camera the day he came in last. Any ideas for how I can clip through that horrible coat? I don't like clipping reverse on schnauzers, but ended up having to do it anyway. Even though the dog was CLEAN, the hair was so thick that a #7 with the grain or my T-84 wide blade (length of a 9?) wouldn't go trhough it without lines. It was a nightmare. It took me longer to groom him than it did an airedale!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

standard shn

well you know they should be plucked but when you clipper you just encourage that fluff
    You could try a coat king first and thin it out. I would use a 7 skip tooth on the back if you are only going at it seasonally but use the coat king and the wire will come back some- 7 f the head 10 the ears and throat and butt- hope that helps

Comment

I agree with Beth. Coat King the heck out of him first. Or use a Furminator. Or both, lol. It also helps if you scrub them with a Zoom Groom in the bath, and go over them with a Zoom Groom before and after the bath, too. That thing pulls a lot of blown coat, and is kinder to the skin.

Comment

Working...
      X