Have you ever groomed a schipperke???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever groomed a schipperke???

Quick question for all of you out there, have you ever groomed a schipperke? I have been told by the dogs owner that they have 3 layers of coat---Notes from the Grooming Table says they have a double coat. I have never seen a schipperke in person before, not sure how the owner is getting 3 layers of coat.

I have. Schipperke's have double coats like a Pomeranian and American Eskimos and other Spitz type breeds.

Comment

I used to groom several back when I worked at Petsomething, even saw one with it's tail undocked (VERY cute like that!). Anyways, if I remember correctly, their coats (at least the ones I groomed here in NY) are less full than a Pomeranian's, and they feel SLIGHTLY harsher, not plush. They seemed to be double coated, not triple. That is a guess though, I do not know for sure
      amanda
      ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

Comment

Yep lots. Seem like normal double coated dogs to me. Normal in that they are double. Inch for inch I swear they shed more than any other breed.

Comment

If the dog's owner tells you her Schip has a triple coat, just nod and agree with her. Of course he does. It's obvious.

But Schips have a double coat.

Comment

tripple coated dog????

she probably thinks she has a purebred golden doodle too.....

Schipperkes have a double coat. I only groom one and I do a lion cut on her. It looks absolutely adorable and she gets compliments consistenly! I wish i had pictures to post... I have them printed out but if I can figure out how to scan and post them I will!!!!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their responses, kinda know now what I am dealing with. Have done lots of poms and american eskimo's so this should not be too much of a stretch for me. I do know his tail is not docked as the owner swears noone can touch it, that should make for a more interesting groom for sure. Will post a pic when I am done.

Comment

Originally posted by Hucksmom View Post
                Thanks to everyone for their responses, kinda know now what I am dealing with. Have done lots of poms and american eskimo's so this should not be too much of a stretch for me. I do know his tail is not docked as the owner swears noone can touch it, that should make for a more interesting groom for sure. Will post a pic when I am done.
                d

I would love to see a picture. Schipperke's are really cute.

Comment

Have another quick question to just throw out to you all. Same lady I am dealing with, and same dog. She is a PITA in a huge way. Wants her schipperkes tail feathered like a retreivers tail. I have tried various ways to achieve this and she is still not happy. Told her daughter the last time that I am not a magician and cannot make a tail look like it belongs on a different dog. Any ideas on how to do this???

Comment

Re: Have you ever groomed a schipperke???

Pull tail down towards table and trim blunt(I prefer chunky thinning shears) hold tail out at natural set for golden, do a slight curve with thinning shears totally depending on thickness of coat as to length. Usually I clean up long ends, then shake tail and hold where dog puts it naturally to check if needs any more layers-use thinning shears.

Comment

Guess it is time to get some chunkers then. Only have thinning shears and they are not aggressive at all.

Comment

Re: Have you ever groomed a schipperke???

I'm sorry, but if it is all schip then the coat should be pretty "flat", dense & THICK. I used to show a few. I would never be able to make any part of one look like a retriever. Please post a pic... I'm curious.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch using Tapatalk 2
                        If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

Erm...if her dog has a tail I highly doubt it's a schipperke. I know it's kind of neither here nor there, but jus' sayin'.
                          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Sorry, I don't think that can be done. Retriever coats lay flat, spitz coats stick straight out. Does this dog's tail hang low or curl over its back? If it's curly that's even worse.

You could sorta replicate it with a blade on top of the tail, lots of carding, and very careful blending down the sides into a long flag. I still don't think it would look good though. The owner is asking for something unreasonable.

Comment

Used to groom 2 before I moved. Was always a bath and brush and a light trim of the feet with thinning shears. They came every 2 weeks so I can't tell you show their coat was when the undercoat would come through. They came so much the coat laid flat and always had a natural shine. Sweet dogs too. Nothing like my Pom with a bad attitude towards grooming. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X