Shaving Samoyed Big Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving Samoyed Big Trouble

I had a customer come in with a huge samoyed - he seemed (the owner) very nervous - could hardly get card info out of him. I asked what he wanted done he said short as possible - and said it again before he left. I put the dog on the table his undercoat is a solid rock so I go under it - it took forever to get under mats- they come back next day with police saying I maliciously shaved dog - here their other groomer just scissored the undercoat. When he said short as possible and re-stated it before he left - I thought he wanted to get rid of the bad coat and start fresh. I even called him and told him I had to charge more because of the dogs condition and he said he knew. What do you do in this situation?

What do you mean they just scissored the undercoat?
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Oops I hit send and was'nt done. Anyway, there is nothing malicious about what you did. They are looking for a free groom in my opinion. Did you take photos to show how bad it was? Did they pay and decide the next day or what?
      What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Sounds like another azzhole looking for a free groom. Good god, take care of your dog and you won't have this problem. It is hair, it will grow back. I would not worry about it. If you did not hurt the dog, there is nothing they can do. I would also call some others in the area or the prev. groomer and chat about this customer. I am sure there is a reason they left the other groomer. How the heck do you scissor the undercoat?
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Thats just stupid. Why would the police even bother to come with them? What did the owners day when they picked up the dog? Did they pay you? If they paid by check I hope you cashed it immediately. Even if they felt it was too short there is no monetary value for hair length so they couldn't even sue you for anything.

Comment

Yep, they're looking for a free groom. I hate when people do this. How did they pay?

Comment

When somebody brings a dog in and says they want it short and the dog is a matted mess, I tell them I will be shaving it down short. Short means different things to different people, so telling them this hopefully makes it clear to everyone what you're going to do. I've also gotten into the habit of taking before & after pics of extremely matted dogs, just in case someone wants to argue that the dog didn't have to be that short. In your situation, it sounds like the guy was looking for a free groom. I can't believe the police even bothered to come out for something like that.

Comment

All I can say is " Wow" .........the things people come up with to get free grooms. What exactly did the police say when they showed up? Kinda wierd that they would bother with a grooming complaint unless they were told REAL harm was done to the dog.

Comment

Sounds like he didn't listen to his wife and when he got home with te dog, she freaked! What kind of a loser call the cops for a grooming misunderstanding??? I hope they paid in cash. Don't give them back any money, they've already bad mouthed you to all they know !!!

To avoid this in the future, this is what I do(from an experience I had)..........

Customer "I want the hair as short as possible"

me " By short do you mean an army style boot camp cut"

Customer " oh no, I just want a trim"

me "becareful when you say as short as possible to a groomer, it means a buzz cut to us"

customer " good thing you asked"

me " yeah, once it's shaved off, it's off!"

have the customer sign something saying they want the dog stripped.

Comment

Cameras

I ALWAYS keep a digital camera in my shop. I love technology! I have never had to resort to it, but its good to take pics when having a matted/neglected dog in. Also - sometimes if its bad enough I save the hair in a ziploc bag (the more matted pieces) for a bit.......you just never know! The client may not have taken his/her meds that day LOL.

Comment

When customers say short, I pull out my trusty hair chart. It shows a #10/#9/#7/#5/#4. The ones that really mean short will look at it and chose which one. Then you have the others who will say... Oh not that short! I meant more like take an inch off.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota48 View Post
                        I had a customer come in with a huge samoyed - he seemed (the owner) very nervous - could hardly get card info out of him. I asked what he wanted done he said short as possible - and said it again before he left. I put the dog on the table his undercoat is a solid rock so I go under it - it took forever to get under mats- they come back next day with police saying I maliciously shaved dog - here their other groomer just scissored the undercoat. When he said short as possible and re-stated it before he left - I thought he wanted to get rid of the bad coat and start fresh. I even called him and told him I had to charge more because of the dogs condition and he said he knew. What do you do in this situation?
                        What would I do, you ask?

I'd say, "See ya in court." I can't stand jerk-offs like that. You know they've been either doing it for a while, or he was nervous because he was "new" at being a rip-off artist. WOW.

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

jeepers

called the Cops???? Is there a fee for false alarms in your area? Heard a lot but not of any customer doing that. Again a signed sheet sure could have helped. I can't imagine the Cops face when he found out what happened, unless the Cop was a brother of the owner or such.
                          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Can't believe that the police came out. It must have been a boring day for them. When they say short as possible, I always ask shaved as in everything off?

Comment

Can you get the pelt that you shaved off of them, or has it already headed for the dump?? That would have been priceless if you could have pulled that sucker out and showed it to the cops.....who by the way should be spending their time a little more wisely, like catching bad guys!!! Don't stress it and DON'T give them a refund, if they really want to pursue this let them take you to court (they won't). Use this as a lesson to learn and always take picts and have people sign a matted pet release!
                              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                              X