fun, Salukis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fun, Salukis

I get to groom a neighbor's Saluki pup tomorrow, barely 6 mo. old, just tidy for showing Sunday. She'll bath it, but she said she just is not real good at the grooming part. Then there is a Sighthound Specialty coming up at the end of this month and she wants me to tidy up 3 youngsters before that.

This will be my third show dog customer. Always makes me nervous a bit, but fun. One of the dogs I groom, a Brittany is my youngsters direct competition. I don't dare goof on him, or they might think it was purposeful.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

so cute!

I'd never heard of this breed, so looked it up on the internet. it might be one of the cutest puppies I've ever seen.

thanks for the education!

Comment

Salukis are so beautiful. I've never groomed one, have fun!

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
      This will be my third show dog customer. Always makes me nervous a bit, but fun.
      Arrooh, I know how you feel. I have a customer with three Maltese which she keeps in coat even though she's no longer showing them. It does make me a little nervous but she's happy with me so I'm getting past it. I think I would be even more so if they were still being shown!

Comment

Fauxpaw is right. Their feet are left fuzzy and their whiskers should also be left intact.
        Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Thanks for the warning.

of not cutting the whiskers. Most show dogs have them taken off. I sort of remembered that they don't now that you mentioned that. Also have to study pictures for feet. Mostly I think they have puppy fuzz and she wants the body coat flatter. Besides sacking that she'd do, I think maybe coat king and Furminator might be the most helpful.

It is a lovely breed though sometimes a bit shy. She does not get them out much either, so good that they are going to the show. Wish I'd known I'd be grooming them so I could have questioned around at the last show.

Of all the courseing breeds I don't think there is anything prettier than a feathered Saluki running. Gorgeous. There is a short haired Saluki too for those who don't get out to shows.

Most people with Salukis get the comments of "Don't you feed your dog?" all the time. They are so slim and are supposed to be that way more so than the other sighthounds IMO.

Comment

Thanks

I tried plucking, furminater (helped some) coat king (did nothing) and finally a many toothed thinning shear. She is a Grissell coloring and the owner was very scared of the orange undercoat showing. I thinnned down all the puppy fuzz in the odd places there was some left. She looked great and the owner was immensely pleased.

I appreciate these boards and FauxPaw's help as indeed no foot trim at all, only a bit on the front pasterns. The owner said some Judges look to see that there is nice hair under the foot. I searched the internet, checked out the AKC book and Notes from the Grooming table and no mention of leaving feet hair. Of course the owner knew, but still surprised. I sort of bragged about this message board saying how great it was that I found that out through here, but no where else. Also it is very important to never cut whiskers on them.

Now to groom my Brittany boy for show tomorrow, and trim feet and whiskers, lol.

Comment

I was 16 when I saw my first Saluki and I thought it was an Afghan with a hair problem!!!!!! LOL

They are a beautiful dog.
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

Working...
              X