Going to shave my poodle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to shave my poodle!

I think I am going to shave down my poodle! I am really on the fence about this, but I am so busy right now that i can't keep up with him. I really want to know about how long will he take to grow out so i can compete with him. I was going to compete this year, but I feel like I am rushing with it. I had back surgery a few months ago and am just getting back to normal, so I said why rush it. He is starting to get really matted so quick. He is 11 months old and I think this is still the puppy coat changing into the adult coat. I am bummed about it but why kill myself over this. This is a huge decision. Help, I need encouragement.
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

rather than shave him, why not take him down in a short lamb? that way the back is clipped, but you can keep an inch on the legs for some growth.

Comment

Think of it as a way to practice a new clip

One of my standard clients that I had been working on growing her coat for a while, came in in rough shape the last time. Her owner had been working alot lately and hadn't had time to brush/comb her. Her coat had gotten LONG and there was not alot I could do, so I decided to do a very short Miami.

She came out well though

Comment

That is what I was going to say, Lucy. Coat change is a miserable thing, and if you don't have time to maintain it, it is even worse! When are you planning to compete? If not this year, go ahead and shave, but if you are planning on it this year, I wouldn't. You need to expect at least 6 months to grow out the legs, but probably even a little more. Like Lucy said, if you take him in a short lamb with a crested neck, it will be much easier to grow out.

Comment

Well, it was worse than I thought lots of matts, I did a 5. YUCK! He did not have any matts in the neck, ears, tail, topknot so I left that longer for some sort of style. Oh well, if I want to compete this year, I will use some other dog. I know I don't have a lot of time to work on him now cuz I am picking up a lot of new customers and need to buy a new car so I am working extra hours. Might as well do it now while it is still light out later! As he grows out I will experiment with fun clips and maybe some color. He is young so I have plenty of years to work with him also so that is good. Thanks.

Comment

I used Rex for the Backer show last weekend. I knew he would not have enough length, but i decided to go anyway. I think he was the only one without any pattern on him at all. I wanted to see how he would do and this was my first time with a standard in competition. This was actually the first time I have fully groomed him myself. (besides the shave down in June) I did the best I could for that day. I left some hair in his toes, big no no. I thought I would have time to get back to the feet and did not. Anyway for our first time i think it was O.K. I know what I need to work on for future competitions. He was such a good boy all day. I got good feedback and that was my goal. I also did the mix breed, no placement. She said i did excellent scissor work but my dog was so pudgy. I did not get any pics of him. Good experience though.
            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice, very smooth all over, good job, sorry bout having to shave your pup down. I understand, my poor poo poo had to deal with only once a week brushings during his coat change and he was in full coat (his mane had never been trimmed) he didn't enjoy that much and it probably would have been better to shave it.

Comment

Well, I'm no judge or anything and I can't see the hair between the toes, but he looks very nice. I'm hoping to do a competition in March if they have them at the Pac. NW groomng show. Job well done and at least you got to see how he would do.
                ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Good job! A standard is a daunting task for a newcomer in the ring!!!

Comment

If I can do half as good as you did I'll be thrilled. In the first picture I would have sworn it was a mini I was looking at. I think there was a big transformation to the after picture.
                    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

What a great job! You are sooooo much braver than I am. I have never and probably will never enter a competion. Job well done.
                      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                      Diane

Comment

Good job! I don't know anything about show rings but think he looks great. The good thing is that you went out there and now know what you need to work on.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I must say i was nervous with the poodle. Not at all with my cockapoo. Now I know what to expect next time. Winteroo, congrats, your poodle was absolutely gorgeous. It was nice meeting you. The good thing is that when you start, you are oblivious to what is going on around you. You are really focused on your groom.

Comment

Hey I saw you at the show! I was watching the poodle competition, but I never met you in person before so I didnt realize it was you. Your poodle is goreous by the way!

Comment

Thanks, luvpups! It was nice meeting you too, though brief, unfortunately! I wish I had more time to chat with people! The only people I ever get to talk with are those in the ring around me, it seems!

Comment

Working...
                              X