lop sided top knots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lop sided top knots

I am right handed and no matter how hard I try my top knots seem to come out lop sided. I have been grooming for six years now and find it very disturbing that I cannot master a perfect top knot so does anyone have any suggestions? What scissors are appropriate, sometimes I use my curves but I dont' think it comes out as well as it does with my straights. Also I would like to know how to create those beautiful creations where the top knot is pulled back into a rubber band, is there a special technique for this?

go buy notes from the grooming table, and the theory of 5. that wil show you topknots and also has a small section on the topknots. brush and sciosser side, side, front the back. I use straight and curved. part it down the middle too and make sure the sides are even. leave a little hair on the back of the neck so you can blend nicely!

Comment

i agree. I use the side, to side, front and back method to. I dont know about any of the other groomers here but when i comb the topknot from side 2 side, front 2 back and then i trim straight across (after each step...i dont know if i am making any sense, but oh well) with my straight shears and then round it out with my curved shears. If there is any blending needed near where the head "joins" the neck i either use straight shears or thinning shears (this works well for me and i get really good result from this!). hope this helped. I dont know if i just confused you more (if i did...sorry). I would just read very carefully and make sure you really understand the section from "notes from the grooming table" on the poodle topknots.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawshpooch View Post
        go buy notes from the grooming table, and the theory of 5. that wil show you topknots and also has a small section on the topknots. brush and sciosser side, side, front the back. I use straight and curved. part it down the middle too and make sure the sides are even. leave a little hair on the back of the neck so you can blend nicely!
        I do the side, side, front and back but never have heard of part it down the middle to make sure the sides are even. I'll have to try that with my St. Poo.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

I use the side, side, front, back method on my standard also. But my aunt taught me another way too, and I've combined them. Basically you fluff the top knot up, then look at it straight on from all directions. Cut the thin fluffy stuff that is sticking up. You just go round and round, fluffing between cuts. I also don't use a comb to fluff... I shake the dogs top knot by gently holding the ears and pulling gently back and forth.
          My aunt calls that method, following the line. Works well for the rest of the hairy bits too, not just the top knot.

Comment

I like the following the lines idea and the part it in the middle idea. I will try that next time. Man i learn sooo much from this website. Thanks!

Comment

I used to do the front to back and side to side technique, and still fall back on it when I get frusterated, but learned at a seminar two years ago your combing the hair where it normally does not lay. Now I do something very very similar to the " follow the line" technique, but i use my comb to fluff it and I blow on it , or in the dogs ear to get them to shake.

Comment

I use my straights for the front to back and side to side and round the top with my curves. I think it is important on topknots to relax and be aware of what you are cutting and take it slow. Try to visualize what you are trying to do.

I than look at the topknot from all directions to make sure it is even. I don't have any depth perception, so topknots don't come real easy for me. Quite often I have to look at the topknot straight on and even across the top with the curves. It is important too not to cut to far into the sides of the topknot when cutting over the top of the ears. If you do it will cause you to make the topknot lop sided.

Comment

the way i do mine are front and side to side, but i do my side to side a bit differently. i hold the ear down(but not pulling down) with the same hand i hold the snout with. then with my inverted curved shears -tip pointing out away from the head, i go underneath the topknot hair and rest them on the ear cartilage, open the shears and cut whatever falls in between. do the same thing on the other side and it will show you exactly where your sides should be and it defines the ear nicely. then i use my curves to vertically blend the corners from between the eyes into the side lines. sorry if i sound confusing by now!! lol.. after doing the front and sides, i ask the dog to bend its neck so its snout is perpendicular to the ground. fluff the back of the neck and topknot and using your straights, with the shears pointing over the dogs back, go across from one side to the other to make it all even... it'll blend the neck and give you a straight back line of the topknot. then fluff behind the ears, define and blend where you need, fluff the top and use curves to make a flat top and slightly round the top edges.

if you want a round topknot instead of a cylinder, flip the shears on your side to side cut but do everything else the same, adjusting where you need to

my 'problem' thing is chins on TB faces...hate em! lol takes me forever to get them even

Comment

Originally posted by doggroomer123 View Post
                    i agree. I use the side, to side, front and back method to. I dont know about any of the other groomers here but when i comb the topknot from side 2 side, front 2 back and then i trim straight across (after each step...i dont know if i am making any sense, but oh well) with my straight shears and then round it out with my curved shears. If there is any blending needed near where the head "joins" the neck i either use straight shears or thinning shears (this works well for me and i get really good result from this!). hope this helped. I dont know if i just confused you more (if i did...sorry). I would just read very carefully and make sure you really understand the section from "notes from the grooming table" on the poodle topknots.
                    I do the exact same thing. I seem to have an easier time making the topknot even this way, but then again, I have never tried the back to back only method.
                    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

I use the same method. The thing that really helped me was bent shank curves and instead of cutting strait back to the top of the ear I scissor up toward the ceiling on that part. I was very paranoid about cutting the dogs ear by accident. So from the corner of the eyes to the corner of the ear use your curves pointed upward it should help

Comment

Top knot's?

Originally posted by doggroomer123 View Post
                        I use curved shears for the top, and straight for the sides. And yes that's true that the " Notes from the grooming table" book will help you. I recieved one during grooming school, it has helped me a lot. See my top knot?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X