Toy Poodle's 2nd Groom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy Poodle's 2nd Groom

This is Colette and this was her 2nd groom with me. She gets just the basic puppy type clip. Very basic at this point, she's a little live wire. But she sure is adorable! I pretty much hold her the entire time I'm grooming her. Critique away - Any tips to help me improve would be greatly appreciated! I've mentioned before, that poodles of all sizes are a big weakness for me. Thanks everyone!
    Attached Files

I think she looks really cute. She doesn't have much top knot hair to work with there though that's rough. She got really long legs but her body and legs look really nicely groomed to me. Pat yourself on the back and say good job.

Comment

She looks sooooo cute! To me she looks just fine, can't do much with puppy hair anyhow. What a cutie!
      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
      Diane

Comment

She is too cute. I just did a TP today. She is black. I have to do the face with a 5. The owner is fussy and wants nothing pointy lol. I really want to take a 15 to her fat little face lol
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Nice job.

Comment

Since this is the dreaded puppy coat,there isn't much you can do as for real grooming;and thats a good thing! lol They are such wiggle worms'ect...As for your grooming it looks good.My only question is if the tail was docked at the right length? It appears from the photo to be unbalanced.The trick is to hold the tail straight up and draw an imaginary line to the highest point of the top knot.If it is even your on the mark.Thanks for sharing.what a cutie

Comment

Ah, that pat on the back felt good Daper Dawg - thanks. Thanks to everyone else for the compliments as well. It's very possible that I got this little dog's tail off balance. I think it was docked a little long, but the non proportional pom is my fault. Something I need to work on for sure - thanks for the tip Doggone! I groomed a min poo yesterday that has a fan type tail - it's so long. What do ya'll do with those? Just go with it and let the hair fan instead of pom? Is there a way to hide or minimize a longer docked tail?

Comment

My poodle has a plume tail.. kinda like the fan. I just pull all the hair up between my fingers and scissor off half an inch or so. Then I hold her tail straight out and clip any extra long or hanging down hairs.

Comment

To hide a long tail, make the end of your pom almost level with the tip of her tail, and then do your pom further down the tail bone. So trim the pom where it should be, not where the tail is dictating where it goes. I hope this is coming across to you. If you buy Shirlee Kalstone's book, Poodle clipping and grooming (it's worth it's weight in gold), it explains it with pics in there. Get that book, especially if poodles are your weakness. BTW, I think that dog looks awesome! Her front legs look a little shorter than her back, but that may just be the pic. I think she looks fab though.
                  Erin
                  No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Originally posted by ejmj30 View Post
                    To hide a long tail, make the end of your pom almost level with the tip of her tail, and then do your pom further down the tail bone. So trim the pom where it should be, not where the tail is dictating where it goes. I hope this is coming across to you. If you buy Shirlee Kalstone's book, Poodle clipping and grooming (it's worth it's weight in gold), it explains it with pics in there. Get that book, especially if poodles are your weakness. BTW, I think that dog looks awesome! Her front legs look a little shorter than her back, but that may just be the pic. I think she looks fab though.
                    I think that is my biggest pet peeve when somebody shaves a poodle tail so it looks like a lollipop on a stick. Not saying that your poodle looks like that, just notice that a lot when I get a new poodle in that someone else has been grooming. It's like they just shave a ring around the tail, do the twist and snip and leave it alone. But anyways your groom looks very nice I love red toys when they are young their color is so vibrant, Most of the time it fades as they get a couple years old though.

Comment

Thanks Erin, I'm going to get that book! Poodles are my weakness, I really don't enjoy grooming them at all. This poo is coming in again today, that tail idea is a very helpful. I have a standard that I groom and his owner loves the plume. I clipped it that way becuase of how long his tail is...It doesn't looked docked at all. Glad she's into the plume, he definitely looked like he had a lollipop for a tail before. Thanks everyone! Ya'll da best.

Comment

Working...
                      X