When scisoring your poodles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When scisoring your poodles

How many people use straight scissors and how many use curved? I love curved. I use them upside down to trim straight lines and the curved side for topknots, legs, rosettes and tail poms.

I use both, they each have a purpose. And depends on how bad my hands hurt if I change them out or not lol

Comment

I use both ... 7" straights to get my side angles of the top knot, then curves to round out the top knot and I leave coat down the neck (so the poodle doesn't look like they have a cap on) and even the neck hair with my long straights (8-1/2", I think). I really love my long straights. I use them even on the front legs of the smaller breeds .. a few cuts down the length of the leg and voila!

Comment

I almost only used curved scissors.

Comment

I love my big 10 inch

curves and straights that is.........oh you guys have such dirty minds! lol

Comment

I used mostly curved. Like Chris, I turn them over to make the straight lines. Occassionally I'll pick up my straights though, especially on standards.

Comment

Poodle help

ok guys the only poodles I have really done are shave downs. At school I had to do poodle with clean face/feet.

If I have to do a poodle on sunday for my practical test I am a bit nervous so any assistance or tips would be so appreciated. I also have to do a pompom tail and have never done that so please advise any tips you can possibly give me...........

Comment

Straights only

Love doing good trims on Poodles, and learned long ago with straights. I curve my wrist and always feel that I know exactly where the cut is being cut. Nice that we can choose.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Pekesapoomom:

I like to pull all of the tail hair away trom the body and then twist the hair rather tightly. Cut the hair straight across about 1 to 1/2 inch above tipof tail.

Note sometimes I trim right across the top of the tail tip..

Shake out the tail and it should have a decent shape. Just neaten up the shape.

Comment

I love to use very long, very straight shears. I've never felt really good about the curves....hmmm it's been a long time, maybe I should give them another try.

Comment

I love curved shears. I used to do the twist and snip on the tail, but I kept getting christmas trees. So now I hold a tiny piece of hair and get the tail to stand up as naturally as possible. Then I comb hair all out in a circle and scissor a circle. then I trim all hair hanging over my clipper line. then I trim the front side of the tail the same way. Usually makes a very round tail.

Comment

I find I use my curved more than anything, but when doing a Standard I can definately set good lines with my 8 straight! Curved work out well for top knots and TB feet. The groomer I work with has never used curves...couldn't imagine that!!

Comment

10" straights on the front legs, 8.5" curves on the rest of the dog. I would DIE doing a poodle without my curved shears. I commend those of you who can do a topknot with straight shears, lol.

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Straight and curved

straight: for legs, body(back sides) topknot
                            Curved: topknot (rounding it) tail, butt (if it needs rounding)

I LOVE TO SCISSOR POODLES! actually i just love the breed, they are so nice and the ones i groom are among the more cooperative dogs.

Comment

I love to scissor poodles. I use my straights for everything. I don't even have a pair of curved. My boss has a pair that I tried once, but since I have rarely used them, I just put them away, and pulled back out my straights, lol.
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X