Poodle Feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poodle Feet

I have a difficult time on poodle feet. I use a 30 on my srandard poodle and I cannot seem to get it to look smooth or get all the little stray hairs, any suggestions?

I use a 30 on a clipper vac. they always come out perfect. before i ever used a clipper vac i was very skeptical about this. you know the old can't teach an old dog new tricks.....anyway one year at intergroom i met Marlene Romani and I said to her in conversation, "Yeah, yeah, but how do you use that bulky thing to do the poodle feet, blah, blah, blah......she showed me on her gorgeous st. poos of course and that was it. now I will never do it any other way. i did have to get used to the cv attachment, but you do, and then......perfection....perfect poo feet with not a loose hair to be found. also, because the blade stays much cooler you don't have to worry about razor burn.

Comment

I use a 40 and I dont have a clipper vac. I also have an Oster Pro Cord/Cordless triimmer, and I like it, but its not powerful enough. It takes me forever. The feet come out just as nice as the 40, but it just takes too long.

Comment

I like to do feet after the bath so I can force dry them. I also like using ceramic blades I don't know that give a better cut so much as they stay cooler much longer.

Comment

I use the Wahl Mini Moser, which uses a 30 too. It feels totally safe for getting inbetween even the toy poodle toes.

Comment

I use a #30 to get the bulk of the hair off, then the Wahl tid-bit to finish. It's cuts real close and it's small so I can easily get all the strays on top and between the toes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken View Post
              I use the Wahl Mini Moser, which uses a 30 too. It feels totally safe for getting inbetween even the toy poodle toes.
              I use the Mini Moser too. I love it.

Comment

If you don't already, try a 40 on the pads. If you do, invest in an arco or similar product. you will love the results.

Comment

Poodle feet are the only thing I can do on a poodle. I really am not impressed with how my poodles turn out. My clients are happy, but can't say I am. Anyway...I use a 7/8 blade, a 30 blade or the Tid-Bit. If they're not overgrown feet, I'll just use the tid-bit. The 7/8 works good between the toes and to clean up the pads. If they're really, really over grown I use a 30. I don't have a CV either. Lots of things are done the old fashion way in my teeny little Salon.

Comment

Originally posted by amysue2638 View Post
                    I use a #30 to get the bulk of the hair off, then the Wahl tid-bit to finish. It's cuts real close and it's small so I can easily get all the strays on top and between the toes.
                    That's how I do them except I use a #40 instead of the #30.

I had tried the 5/8 toe blade but I was always cutting the feet up. Don't use it any more.
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

I just bought a Wahl Bravura, and LOVE it on poodle feet. It has adjustments for 40, 30,15, 10, and 9. Works great, worth the money. I also used it on my son yesterday to give him a high and tight...worked great for that too They say it should last about 90 mins on a charge, but I doubt I would ever use it that long at one time!

Comment

If you don't have a wahl bravura or similar then a good trick is to turn the clipper over and use the edge of the blade to "push" the stray hairs into the blade. It works best with a 40 but you can try a 30 like this.

Comment

I'm assuming you mean stray hairs between the toes???

For that I will often turn the foot up (farrier style) so that I can see it from the bottom. I spread the toes and shave inward from there. I use a #10 on the top and sides, and a #40 between the toes, in case I decide to knick the dog.

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

That wahl tidbit is a wonderful tool for the poodle feet of all sizes. I also use a 40 on the feet, then use the tidbit to get all the stray hairs. It works even better than the moser (in my opinion) for this and costs like $35.

Comment

I have chewed up several paws

on the webbing with my tidbit!
                              I even went to another groomer to see exactly how it was done.
                              Wasn't taught in my apprenticeship.
                              I also bought a different size blade to use on the thing.

Finally started using my CV with a 40. Still not beautiful but I'm doing better.
                              I like the backwards to catch strays idea. I'll have to try that.

Does anyone do it this way?
                              I have to stand next to the side of the dog facing the head & clipper the tops of the feet pulling the clipper toward me. I just can't seem to get the normal way of standing facing the dog's rear.

??
                              Erica

Comment

Working...
                              X