Toy Poodle Puppy Evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy Poodle Puppy Evaluation

He will be 5mo on May 10th. I know they aren't the best pics, but he's a wiggle worm. I'm thinking about getting this toy instead of a standard. He will have to be shown and finished. He is a little more old fashioned, he is out of a very old line. Some judges will just eat him up with a spoon, and some won't care for him...but I think he is just darling. His coat is growing in well, and I can't wait til he is all silver.

Anyway, tell me what ya'll think...

Sorry, I should have brushed him before the pics. We've been petting on him and snuggling on him all day and he got all nappy looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by windfall4; 04-27-10, 11:43 PM.

It might be my imagination but it loooks like his shoulder blade angulation is shallow? do you have any pictures form the breeder when he is about 6-8-12 weeks of age with less coat on him? what are his measurements? height at wither, length shoulder to butt bone, back from bottom of neck to base fo tail, head full length then just muzzle, length of neck? Could you get a straight on shot from direct side ,direct front and direct rear?

Comment

This probably isn't very helpful but I think he is adorable. He has a cute face, but not "dollish." He also looks like he has a good coat. Overall, I like him better than the Standard you posted.

Comment

Well I am in love, but i love toys!!

Comment

He certainly is cute...I can see why he's in danger of being smooshed to death w/ petting.

My feeling is that unless there is a gross abnormality, or clearly...a disqualifying fault, it's really hard to properly "evaluate" a puppy from a few pictures. Particularly one that is a ball of fur.

Again...for me (and as pertains to my breed) so much more goes into an honest evaluation. Things like putting my hands on the actual structure of the puppy/dog, watching it move, seeing expression, and a lot of times...photos just miss all that, not to mention when you are dealing w/ a breed that has a lot of coat, so MANY things can be overlooked or hidden in a picture.

Do you have access to objective "Poodle people"...that you can actually take him to and get a fair assessment?
          I would definitely pursue that angle if you really have your hopes set on showing/finishing him, yourself.
          If your breeder has had good luck w/ her line in the ring, it might not be a bad idea to consider a co-ownership...so you can piggyback on his/her experience/reputation for awhile while you get your feet wet.

He certainly is cute.
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

It is very difficult to evaluate this puppy without actually putting hands on him, but my first impression from the photos is that he is very short on neck as compared to how leggy he is. He also appears to be a little down on his pasterns, hard to tell though. He is cute though, but I would have a knowledgeable poodle person feel him over for you.

Comment

I have to agree with some of the other posts. Winter did point out he is short of neck which can also be related to a steep shoulder. His front feet look down and he appears to have a lowset tail.

Toys are difficult, they generally lack body, depth of chest and good shoulders and stifles. I also see what looks to be tear staining on his face.

I do like his face and from what you describe sounds like he has a good temperament.

Have you considered going to a few shows and watching poodles and talking to different people including professional handlers? It might help you make a wise decision as to the route you want to go.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your input. The lady I got him from is my co-worker and she is one of the top toy poodle breeders in the country. She breeds beautiful toys. She had given me a toy to show a few months ago, but she didn't work out. She just didn't fit in with my other dogs. So I gave her back and told my co-worker that I don't think a toy poodle is for me because they are just too fragile. Then about a month ago she got 2 puppies in from one of her breeding partners and this little silver boy was one of them. I'm a sucker for silver so I would jokingly tell my co worker that I was going to steal him one day, plus he has the most darling personality. She told me that she would never sell him because he is out of a old bloodline and she needed him for breeding. Anyway, yesterday she walked into work and told me I could have him if I wanted him. I just have to show and finish him, and let her use him for breeding whenever needed. I don't want to get into the whole breeding thing so I don't care if she uses him for breeding. And if I need help getting his majors or something she'll help me out with that.
                If I have time I'll scissor on him tomorrow or fri and post more pics and maybe you can get a better look at him. IMO, he has a nice rear, he could have a better tail set but it's not the worse tail set. He has a great temperament, he is a little soft but he can be outgoing. He is going to be more of the cobby type rather than the refined type.
                I also may not be stacking him properly...I'm still learning. I'll take some better pics after I scissor him and I'll get my co-worker to stack him.

Comment

He reminds me of the Consentino line of silver toys. Small ,leggy,short cobby little body. I saw a nice puppy of theirs at ou local show years ago,and it could be a wild guess,but he sure looks like the bitch pup I saw. You can see all the action from PCA this year through a dog show video professional site,live streaming action and on tape.
                  "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                  Quote:Cath

Comment

If the image is accurate, the neck is too short. He looks off balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                      If the image is accurate, the neck is too short. He looks off balance.
                      Maybe he would look more balanced with the trim on your avatar?
                      "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                      Quote:Cath

Comment

I agree that it appears his neck is too short. In fact, it looks like he has a ewe neck. If that's the case, personally I wouldn't breed him. We see far too many ewe necks in poodles, and it does cause some health issues later in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                          I agree that it appears his neck is too short. In fact, it looks like he has a ewe neck. If that's the case, personally I wouldn't breed him. We see far too many ewe necks in poodles, and it does cause some health issues later in life.
                          He isn't ewe necked. I think I was pushing his head too far back when I was stacking him.

He could use a little more neck though. Oh well, there's no such thing as a perfect dog.

Comment

You are right, there is no perfect dog, even in show ring. If she is giving him to you and telling you taht he needs to be finished, I guess she believes that it could be done. I would go for it.

Comment

It sounds like a good deal to me too. If she is a top show breeder, then she knows her lines pretty well. Also, 5 mos is not the best time to evaluate a puppy. You will learn a lot with him. Have fun!
                              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X