german clip, fly away ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• german clip, fly away ears

ok, so i am looking at a toypoo for atlanta. he is a great little dog but tail is docked to short. i think german trim, kerryblue type tail. sooo, i look at his ears and i know if i clip the hair, which i have permission to do from the owner, his ears are gonna stick out like i dont know what. probably totally out to the sides. can i do kerry blue tail, with full poodle ears, in comp., if it is best for the dogs overall apearance??

Hi Noodles. Would you be allowed to do a carrot tail,and tasselled or short plush ears,defined short around the edge? I had a lovely silver toy poodle who had outstanding type,and colur, but one of her faults was flying ears,they looked really bad when I shaved them,I couldn't wait for them to grown in. With even a short covering of hair,or teddy beared they were fine .but shaved, oh my goodness,it ruined her beautiful headpeice. They stuck right out!
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

Comment

What about Bedlington ears or tasseled ears? That would hold the ear down so it wouldn't fly away. Good luck!!!

Comment

I have seen somebody do that with a poodle in competition but I don't know if the person placed or not.

Comment

Check out this Japanese style with tassels

Originally posted by THE_Redneck_Diva View Post
          What about Bedlington ears or tasseled ears? That would hold the ear down so it wouldn't fly away. Good luck!!!
          I'm in Okinawa and a few weeks ago I ventured into a Japanese book store and found book/magazine called Poodle Salon Vol. 1.... When I read this post it reminded me of one of the photos in the book. Check it out.
          Attached Files

Comment

Generally, ears should match the tail. If you are doing a shaved tail, use the same blade on the ears. If you are doing a terrier tail, try using a 4f on the top side of the ears to give them some weight. If you are doing a pom on the tail, full ears. No mismatching. Tasseled ears are not really seen in the ring at all in the purebred poodle class.

Comment

Noodles ,sounds like your ears would ok and lay down if done as Winter E. suggested. I think with my little flying ear girl (my avatar "Hattie") she would have looked great with a carrot tail,and 4f ears. That would be just about the minimum amount of ear coat to keep them from popping up on mine.

Comment

thanks guys, gonna go with a 4f and prayor. look for my flying poodle in atlanta!!!

Comment

Originally posted by noodles View Post
                  thanks guys, gonna go with a 4f and prayor. look for my flying poodle in atlanta!!!
                  Good Luck Noodles! And if the ears stick right up ,remeber I had NOTHING to do with the brilliant 4F idea. Honestly if balance is what they are looking for I would make the carrot is thick as acceptable,and the ears as coated as you can to balance. Hattie was long past her show days ,and was never used for competition, but she was such a lovely poodle I tried to keep her nicely groomed. I coulda,(and did) laughed and cried when I shaved her ears ,when she would hear an exciting word like cookie,car ride,frisbee,her ears would actually stick right out like the taco bell dog!

Comment

fly away ears

well i did it in atlanta. despite a very yucky virus that had me feeling like **** for a couple weeks, i competed. i clipped those ears in the ring and up, up, up they went!!!! lol, omg. it was hilarious. he was a little nervous, which made it worse cause his little ears were way up on top pf his head, but cute as a button. oh well maybe next time. thanks for everyones suggestions.

Comment

Let's see those ears....

Please post a picture. I would love to see the fly away ears. Did you do the 4f & edge them out? Sorry it didn't work out in Atlanta BUT then you can tweak for next year in Atlanta.

Comment

Originally posted by Okigroomer View Post
                        I'm in Okinawa and a few weeks ago I ventured into a Japanese book store and found book/magazine called Poodle Salon Vol. 1.... When I read this post it reminded me of one of the photos in the book. Check it out.
                        That is cute and would hold the fling ear down too, I don't know the competition rules though?

Comment

You might be able to cover up most of the top of the ear fold- the part that sticks out from the skull,,with a little more full TK. I don't know what he looks like,,,but this might work. ~Taking the sides up a little less tight across the "temples"- or from the ear opening to the eye corner.
                          You could even look at asking your judge at pre-juding walk thru if you can apply the adhesive ear weights (used to train ears) to the underside of the ear to help weigh them down. Have them on hand, and ask your judge if they are allowed before applying them. They have nothing to do with your grooming, just the dog's confo.,,so your judge's final decision on allowing them might be a yes.
                          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Try the tassles....

I think the weight of tassles might work on keeping the ear down. I don't think there is a LAW or Restriction on Tassled ears. I think that most of use borrow dogs for competition so many times the owners don't want a tassled ear. Then again you might have better luck in the Potpourri class or the Other purebreed class where your Poodle can have the full feet, tassled ears, & a slim tail. That class might work better for the Non Traditional style that you would like to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleluv View Post
                              That is cute and would hold the fling ear down too, I don't know the competition rules though?
                              WinterElixer is right,,I would not do tassels on the ears in your Poodle and purebreds class. Stick with the matching ears & tail- that is what is correct per the trim. Depending on what level youare competing at,,some judges do not strike points for dog quatily, but the higher the class, the more competitors that are "bringing it" in your class, and the stiffer the competition, you'll find they will put up higher quality (confo) dogs
                              Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X