Caniches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caniches

Exactly what are caniches? what is the difference between them and a toy if there is any difference. Is caniche french for poodle? I have searched it but all the websites come up in spanish, and I dont know spanish.! Thanks

"In France, however, the Poodle is called the "Caniche," or duck dog."

Taken from:
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/toypoodle.htm

(scroll down to origin) I typed Caniche, dog into google.

Comment

In Problems to Profits, on one of the forms, the breed/price list, they have Poodle catagory, in that toys and mini's then caniches then standards? I am just confused.

Comment

It is a poodle that is smaller than a st. poodle but bigger than a mini poodle. I have not heard that word in a long time.

Comment

caniche is also the way poodles are named in spanish

Comment

We had one when I was a kid in the 70's, I guess they are coming back into favor. It's a great size between a mini and standard, usually around 30 lbs.

Comment

Baddog, I've never heard of those. I want one now! lol I always said if I got a poodle I would want a really small standard or really large mini.

Comment

My Mom had one when I was a kid, and to me it was a great size. Problem was that I made the misstake of teaching her to jump over things, and she learn to jump the fence and my Mom ended up giving her to a friend of hers. I was very upset about that. I think my Mom just liked the smaller Poodles, and that was an excuse.

Comment

The AKC doesn't recognize a size between miniature and standard. A toy is 10 inches and under at the shoulder, minis are between 10 and 15 inches, and standards are 15 inches and up.

Caniche is a term much like teacup. A teacup is a really small toy, a caniche is a large mini/small standard.

Comment

There IS no "in-between" size, anymore than there is a "teacup"....

The three types of poodles, based on size are TOY: < 10" tall at the shoulders; Miniature =/> 10" but < 15"; Standard: =/> 15" . "Teacup", "Caniche", "Royal"... (as additional size classifications) are just some crooked breeders' ways of charging a higher price for "special" dogs....

Comment

I understand the Poodle Club

does not recognize the "other" sizes. Yet many people know what it means to have a teacup Poodle or a Royal Standard. A few know the Caniche is. I get tired of explaining I had a small standard Poodle and wish more people knew what a Caniche is. Real handy size, large to play and hike with, but handy on the car seat and liftable to the table. Definately Standard looks and Temperament, but so not a big ol Standard Poodle size. I almost think the Poodle people who don't recognize the "words" are kind of snobbish. They are just words of description that most people know, not a lot different from saying a brown or chunky or such Poodle. I had a Teacup Poodle too long ago, not a lot different to say that than a very tiny toy poodle. Almost all people know what one means when one says a Teacup toy, yet many of the public does not know the difference between a Minature and a Toy, thinking the word Minature sounds like it would be smaller.
                      Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I have a 36 pound STANDARD poodle. She is 20" tall at the shoulders, so she is a STANDARD poodle by any breed definition. She is not a "small" standard; she is not a "caniche". She is a standard poodle according to the AKC, UKC, Poodle Club.... Her AKC registration says simply "poodle". She is a poodle over 15-inches tall at the shoulder, so she is a STANDARD poodle. If she was 30-inches tall and 92 pounds, she would also be a standard poodle.

If Amber was 2 pounds and 5-inches tall, she would be a toy poodle, just as she would if she was 9 1/2-inches and 12 pounds. She would not be a "teacup" poodle. But a crooked breeder wanting more money would call her a teacup, because that sounds like a "special" kind of toy.

Comment

I've heard of the term "moyen" not sure if that's how it's spelled, as something similar to this caniche theme. Is this true?
                          Erin
                          No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

This really isn't much different than the kaninchen or rabbit dachshund. They're smaller than a mini, and if we had such a thing they'd probably be called a toy. But AKC doesn't recognize the size as seperate from a mini. They don't recognize the "tweenie" size either. But the kaninchen can be shown as a mini. Tweenies are stuck in limbo; too large to be minis, too small to be standards.

At least the size standards on poodles doesn't disqualify a caniche from being shown. Depending on the size, they show as a miniature or standard.

Comment

Caniche....sounds like something you'd eat....Hi can I have a double decaf latte and a caniche!............sorry I'm on a diet......I'll go away now

Comment

Working...
                              X