Help I can't my the Poodles coat staright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I can't my the Poodles coat staright

I spent 3 hours on a ST.Poodle and the coast still came out curly. Why? Also what shampoo do you use on their coats? Thanks.

Fluff Dry

Comment

What kind of coat does he have? Some of the Poodles w/a very harsh coat can be difficult to get perfectly straight, especially if it is very humid. I will use a combo of my HV and brush at the same time and use MattMagic for a spray. I have a clamp arm that I can attach my Metro to and use it as a table dryer. Make sure to spritz the coat as you go along because some of the coat will start to air dry and curl while you are drying other parts. Also, make sure you are drying down to the roots. In some of the thicker Poodles it can look like they are totally dry but they are still damp and it will curl back up.

I had a Poodle like this yesterday. He is a regular customer and a good boy, but he takes forever to dry perfectly. Yesterday his momma wanted a softer "puppy" look on his head and ears and she had me spritz it after the cut so it would curl back up....nooooo...all that work..lol Oh well he did look cute!
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

I do a Standard too that has a wildly curly coat. It is SO hard to get his coat straight, I always blamed it on my old HV's and that they weren't powerful enough to blow it straight. It does help a little (at least on him) to fluff brush while I dry. But his coat for some reason is just so much curlier than any other poodle I do and it seems to have a mind of it's own. Thankfully his owner loves a bit of curl! As for shampoo I just use my regular ez groom shampoo's and conditioner on most of poodles. A couple of my clients bring their own shampoo in for the poo's. The one is a John Paul/Pet shampoo, the other I can't remember. But I haven't found that either bring any better results than my salon shampoo - maybe someone else has a shampoo that works wondefully for curly coated poodles.

Comment

I have yet to try it, but I have been told Clean Start and Fluff Out (shampoo and after spray) work well together and keep the coat fluffier longer.

Comment

Thank you.

Well Thank you for all the advice, I will try, try and try again! LOL I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Use conditioner!

A good conditioner will help to weigh down the coat. Are you using conditioner EVERY time you wash the dog? It will really help to straighten out the coat.

Comment

Originally posted by barknpurr View Post
                A good conditioner will help to weigh down the coat. Are you using conditioner EVERY time you wash the dog? It will really help to straighten out the coat.
                My thoughts exactly. I don't use conditioner on most of my poodles. None of them are as curly as the one you are talking about either.
                "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                Diane

Comment

Working...
                X