Coloring My Poodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coloring My Poodle

I am writing to try and get some help with coloring my poodle. I am not sure what to use and how to go about setting a patern. I have been told by a few on here to use a blow pen and stencils but when I am planning on doing this her hair will be well grown out and I am not sure but I think that the white will show underneath if I use this method. Also for the upcoming holiday, 4th of july, I want to color her red, white and blue. Any suggestions would be helpful. I just see all these very fancy colored poodles all the time and really have to wonder how they do that. Thanks for everyones help.

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Have you ever used the manic panic? Does it wash out well? How do you go about setting as pattern and keep colors from bleeding?

Comment

MOst of the semi permanent dyes take a while to wash and fade. Some colours fade faster. As for patterns think one up and figure out how to do it! To do the dyeing do one colour at a time and apply cholestrol to prevent the next colour from getting into other parts of the coat. Apply the lightest coloursfirst then work your way to the darker. Keep in mind the lighter will fade but it is easier to dye over a colour you may have leached when it is lighter than a darker one. Or if you want to do multiple colours make sure they are spread out from each other. Also best to have smeone help you to keep the dog standing as applying the dye can be time consuming depending on hwo much colour is being done

Comment

Manic Panic

I love the results I get with all the colors, but pink is our favorite... Here is Miss Tinkerbell right after the dye (dark pink), and the lighter pink picture is two weeks and one bath later...I like it at the two week point were it lightens up a bit. She looks like pink cotton candy.
          Attached Files
          Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

Whewwww, girl, that is PIIIIIIIIINK!

I love manic panic, and it was quite easy. Just TOWEL dry the dog well before applying the color, so that when/if it shakes, it wont shake dye all over the place.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by Pawsitively Purrfect View Post
              I love the results I get with all the colors, but pink is our favorite... Here is Miss Tinkerbell right after the dye (dark pink), and the lighter pink picture is two weeks and one bath later...I like it at the two week point were it lightens up a bit. She looks like pink cotton candy.
              That is soooo cute
              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I have read about manic panic, but how long does it take to wash out? Are there other things to use besides blow pins, or is there a paint that can be used through an airbrush? I would like to use something that will wash out after a few days, but not fade to fast in the frist day or two and not rub off on the furniture.

Comment

Hey, regarding that PM you sent me....probably not a good idea to color the poodles hair if you are going to be showing the dog. I would not even do it in between shows....you don't want to risk damaging the hair. White hair is so fragile and hard to grow already.

Comment

Jazzing by Clariol is used sometimes too. But here's a tip. If you need a certain color, say orange. Do NOT use red Manic Panic and yellow Jazzing mixed. Something about mixing the 2 makes it very permanent. I'm STILL trying to get rid of the orange on my poodle from Oct!!

The pic of her by the sign was taken after I colored her last fall. And the one on the couch was just recently!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by countrysidek_9 View Post
                      I am not sure what to use and how to go about setting a patern. Also for the upcoming holiday, 4th of july, I want to color her red, white and blue. Any suggestions would be helpful. I just see all these very fancy colored poodles all the time and really have to wonder how they do that. Thanks for everyones help.
                      For a pattern do you mean a trimmmed one or a stenciled one? I tend to freehand my trimmed patterns and refine them over time. I have not used a stencil effect at all. I also have not used Blo Pens alsthough they do make me curious. Wouldn't it be fun to set up a fun booth at a competition where people can try out techniques?

As for the 4 of July try starting with an outline of your dog and make doodles. then figure out if you cna adapt them to the dog.

On Joker I did use a cutout the set the shamrocks but there is another one on him that was totally freestyle.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is Emma done in 6 packs of grape kool-aid
                        Attached Files

Comment

a liitle off thread but..when I mention wanting to color a dog to my friends/co-workers, I'm amazed at the emotional responses against it. I have said a couple of times to my friends that I KNOW they color their own hair, why is it so offensive to some? It's not like I'm suggesting dying bunnies for sale at Easter! Any feedback on this?

Comment

Maybe people think dogs get colored with the harsh chemicals used on people hair?

Comment

howd you do the grape koolaid?

Did you make a paste? Does anyone know if you can still get the color from PetSilk?

Comment

Working...
                              X