What poodle cut to try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What poodle cut to try?

I really want to try something different on my poodle, Gracie. I was just wondering what cut everyone thinks I could "pull off" on her. Below is a picture of what her length is at right now. (She is due for grooming, so please ignore what she looks like as far as that goes.).
    Attached Files
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Do you have Shirley Kalstone's book entitled "Poodle Clipping and Grooming"? It discusses all the various poodle patterns and gives terrific instructions on grooming poodles. I have two standard poodles --- Calli (black) I keep in a Miami Clip (close trim all over except she has bracelets); and Shasta (white)I keep in a Town and Country clip (more scissoring involved).

While the Miami clip is a very easy maintenance clip; I believe that the white and cream colored poodles look better with more coat on them ... that's why I chose the T&C for Shasta.

Comment

She is adorable. )
      Why not make heart designs in her coat for valentines day?

Comment

I agree w/Angie. Put hearts on her and tassle her ears. I think tassled ears can look really cute. Since it is close to Valentines day you can dye the tassles pink or red.
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Think ahead...

Do you want to try growing her out to something dramatic, and do some fun cuts along the way? Or you happy with the length she's at now and just want to work with it?

I wanted to do something fun on my poodle, but keep his legs since that was really the hardest part to grow in except for his neck hair, so I did the Town and Country. It's a great trim I think, cause you can practice shaping the legs while still having and easier time with the body. If you don't want to shave all the fabulous neck hair, then maybe a dutch trim?

My best advice is to try and do a trim that you can change right away into another trim...like try the swirl or desi on him, then it's only a small step to the dutch, then only another small step to the town and country, and if you still don't like it you can go on into the miami. If you go right into the miami right away, you have to wait for so long to get them back to this length where there are so many possibilities. Enjoy, poodles are so much fun.
          Erin
          No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Edited.
            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 12:24 AM.

Comment

I put my mini in a modified russian puppy clip. It is at the back of of the Shirley poodle book. He looks pretty cute.

Comment

Is she still young?

Looks to not have adult coat? Better for getting real fancy to get more coat, or is that it? I like tasseled ears too, but they don't look good growing out, and more I love full flowing ears. I think a dutch or what we used to call a sweetheart trim. A clipped Diamond, or heart over the loin, and down in a stripe, then the neck clipped.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I think the pattern with the ears and tail shaved completely off is cute. My friend put her mini in that clip today and she looked so cute. I think she used a #4 on the body, and tail, and scissored the legs and shaved ears and face with a #15. I believe this is the German clip but I forget.
                  Attached Files

Comment

if you realy want to be creative but not overbaringly so i would do pants and or jacket and poms but scisssor little hearts in the jaket

Comment

What did you decide. Gracie looks so grown up since the last time I seen her!

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day that she's going to get her haircut. I'm leaning toward the sweetheart clip but without shaving the neck.
                        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Competitive Clip

Hi All,
                          I will be competing in the Atlanta Pet Fair Entry Level division in a few weeks with my stnd. poodle, Molly. Any suggestions as to what type of style I should go with?

Comment

Originally posted by Poodlefluff View Post
                            I think the pattern with the ears and tail shaved completely off is cute. My friend put her mini in that clip today and she looked so cute. I think she used a #4 on the body, and tail, and scissored the legs and shaved ears and face with a #15. I believe this is the German clip but I forget.
                            I tried that cut on the big white standard I do, but he's so out of proportion, it didn't look good on him. I love that cut too. I thought it was the Dutch clip, but I don't think it is.

Comment

Yes, it is a German trim. I used to do my old male in that trim, but with full feet. Here is a pic...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X