Suggestions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions Please

Today I had a PBGV to groom. This dog had the strangest coat. It was long, about 8 inches, it was fairly hard, but straight as a post. No body whatsoever. It reminded me of a Beardie coat, to be honest.

I would really like to make this dog look like it's supposed to, but how to do that has me stumped. No way will it have that typical, unkempt appearance if I clip it, but it's too darned long!

I carded the coat quite a bit, and did a little judicious top thinning. It didn't do any good. It's still too long, too straight, too limp.

Any ideas?

Wow, Helly. It's usually you that comes to our rescue! Maybe this guy was standing in the wrong line when they gave out the good hair!! I guess I would've done what you did. Is the coat hard enough that you could 'break' it? I do some westie heads this way. Take one cut with thinning shears to set the length, then use fingers to break the coat. Maybe after a few grooms, the coat will get stronger.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Helly, I haven't a clue of what they're supposed to look like, but maybe that is a good thing for the idea I have:

Treat the dog's hair like a full coated yorkie that needs a trim and/or some layering.

I take a long snap on comb, and after combing all the dog's hair out of course, STAND the dog on its hind legs and comb the hair toward the tail. Then, taking the snap-on comb over the dog, take some length off, kind of layering it all over. Use a shorter comb if needed to take off more length. I like that layered look.

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Somehow I think the only thing that would break this coat is a bad perm.

I forgot to mention, I did try some plucking, too. But the whole danged coat is the same length! Too long! All plucking did was thin it.

I gotta remember to take my camera to work with me, next time he comes in. I've never seen a PBGV with coat like this.

Comment

what about using twin thins? I would do layers, like spikey said like you do a yorkie or lhasa, but the twin thins would make it look nice and natural. I do that with a ponz, that she likes to look like this horrid picture of the dog as a puppy. It gives a nice natural, uneven yet neat look.

Comment

I would use a coat king and thin it especially if you do not want to hand strip it. It sounds like it needs to have it's entire coat stripped out and started over. If you are willing to do that you will be able maintain it better

Comment

Originally posted by dgpaw View Post
              I would use a coat king and thin it especially if you do not want to hand strip it. It sounds like it needs to have it's entire coat stripped out and started over. If you are willing to do that you will be able maintain it better
              He already did have it entirely stripped, at his previous groomer. Right down to his undies, lol. I'd be happy to do it again if I could. And if I thought it would do any good. But it's such a strange coat.

I gotta get pictures. Not that you can "see" the texture. But it might help. It's really not a proper PBGV coat, at all.

Comment

Working...
              X