Help...smelly pekingese faces...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...smelly pekingese faces...

I have a pekingese coming again tomorrow and I can' seem to get rid of her smelly face. Ive used blueberry and oatmeal facials and I always make sure her face is good and dry after the bath. I use a facial cloth for her wrinkly nose but it still has a horrible smell...almost like its mildewed. Her teeth look great and mom keeps her well bathed and brushes her teeth at home as well but mom cant stand the smelly face and im at a loss of what else to do...any suggestions???

When I went to school we had a pair of English Bull Dogs that use to come in and we learned at that time to use a soft toothbrush to brush corn starch into the folds on the face. It absorbs moisture and takes care of odor. I use it on my American Bull Dog, see profile picture and it does work quite well.

Comment

SOP in Peke kennels was always to wipe out under the wrinkle every day with a cotton ball dipped in witch hazel. Witch hazel is mildly antiseptic. That, plus the manual wiping with the cotton ball, keeps down the growth of bacteria, yeast and other muck that causes the stink.

This is not a problem that can be addressed by you attacking it every so many weeks. The owners have to get involved and routinely clean under the wrinkle as well. If they do so, the odor will go away fairly quickly.

If they don't, the dog's face will continue to stink to high heaven.

Comment

witch hazel and a q tip in those folds every day would help a bunch but good luck getting the owners to do it. Most people just aren't going to take the time even though it's a mere seconds a day.

Comment

Baking soda and a toothbrush then politely wipe with a damp towel.

Comment

When we used to have bulldogs we used a product called Ear Flushing Drying Lotion and wipe the wrinkles with gauze (cotton balls can leave little pieces that get stinky) We got it from a veterinarian dermatologist. Its amazing keeps the yeast and bacteria dried out and smells good!

Comment

you can also use a diluted vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by Paw-fectionist View Post
                politely wipe with a damp towel.
                ROFL, Paw! I can just see it now: Pardon me, sir. Would you mind terribly if I used this damp towel to wipe your wrinkles? Thank you ever so much and please accept this complimentary cocktail!

Too cute!
                Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Several good suggestions, and they'll all work to some degree or another.

But I'd also suggest a couple of other things. Check her ears, for one thing. Sometimes the problem isn't all just the face/mouth. The ears can be a source of the odor, too. And maybe have the vet check the eyes to be sure there's no infection or blocked tear ducts.

Another OTC purely cosmetic way of dealing with it is mouthwash. On a swab or cotton ball. But I'd probably opt for witch hazel, myself. it smells better.

Comment

I would check the little pocket/fold on each side of the lower jaw/flew, too. That little pocket fills with stink on a lot of dogs.

Comment

I have a Cav who had the same problem. Mom had brought her to the vet but there were no infections or issues that they found, but she has a lot of eye drainage. I believe she did tell me the vet told her they could do surgery to try to help but she didn't want to do that, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I bought a bottle of Show Seasons Foaming Face Wash. It's rinseless. She LOVES is and it works great. I just did them the other day and after washing her face just once there was NO SMELL. She said she uses the face wash daily and it has kept her face from smelling.
                      I don't know if this would help your Peke client, the other suggestions are probably better to try first, but i do know this worked for this client and I felt comfortable with it because it's made specifically for faces.
                      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Boric Acid is a great eye wash

I've had Pekingese all my adult life and have 2 blind dogs and found thru trial and error that BORIC ACID in a dilute solution 1 part Boric Acid to 4 parts sterile filtered water work better (and cheaper) than commercial eye washes. All those eye washes contain Boric Acid if you read the label.
                        I use the Boric Acid for eye wash and cleaning the wrinkles as it is a mild antiseptic.

Comment

I get these, too.
                          You can clean them up at their appt. but the real trick is follow up care at home to break the cycle. The moist environment under the eyes and in skin folds breeds yeast and bacteria which give off this odor- which you likely already know!
                          The owner could consider their food and treats, and dental (as you said they already have), ear and nasal health (sometimes having a deviated septum will cause more tearing and seeing ear canal issues could signal an overabundance of yeast production), overall intestinal flora health, and understand that this is a common in short nosed breeds.
                          Cleansing the eyes with wipes every day and keeping all hair on the skin folds away from brushing the eyes will help, as well as looking to see if the dog has any eyelid or eyelash malformation that is causing excess tearing 9common in this breed are ulcerated eyelash follicles which appear as little lumps around a lash base). The cleaning and wiping with a warm clean cloth, or a aloe based hypo-allerg. baby wipe will help. I tell owners to stay away from many eye and face wipes made for pets unless they are sure that there is no peroxide in them (used to help lighten stains).
                          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Working...
                          X