Critique my Schnauzer (again!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique my Schnauzer (again!)

So usually I post pics of grooms that I'm super proud of, having worked really hard on them. This time I'm trying something different--a QC check, if you will.
    So lay it on me! What would you change?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382450841.370441.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1138143Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382450896.570037.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1138144
    I did notice that one back leg was a little longer and fixed it before he went home.

Very nice job! The only thing I see is that the legs are fuller at the shoulder than they are are the ankle. Remember parallel lines. I'm on my cell so I can't see his skirt too well, but everything else looks good to me!

Comment

I totally defer to the schnauzer experts here, but for me, too much skirt, front shoulder not exposed enough and the feet are really small compared to the legs. It's hard to tell about the head. Schnauzer heads are so hard to pick up on a camera without perfect lighting etc.

Comment

I definitely see what you mean about the legs. I'm not sure how I keep doing that to my Schnauzers. I'll have to do some experimenting with the way I trim the feet and see if I can make it work better. Any tips?

And I'll work on dropping those skirts! It's so hard, because every Schnauzer hits my table with a Cocker style hula skirt, and my coworkers hate how low I set my patterns. I don't have any schnauzers requests, either, so I'm not sure my clients are appreciating the style. No complaints, but no recognition either.

Comment

Agreed, fringe (aka "skirt") and shoulder much too high. I would leave a bit more chest as well, and more blending on the back legs (no obvious line from clipping).

Comment

Agree with above on skirt,ect......his face, you need to clip to the corner of the eye and connect the schnz dots to get some angle to beard and brows shouldnt stick out from side of head ( this will be easy to fix once you clip the face to the corner of eye)
            Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Plaid you always need to work from one point to another. When you are doing elbows do feet first. Comb down and your first cut is square across toes, then you round from there, never touching that area in front of the toes. Put your finger in the dogs elbow depression and clip to our finger. Then blend off the shoulder into the leg. Your wedge area needs to come down further take your clippers with a 7 blade, or if you are using bravuras with the red SO comb lay clippers on the rib cage and gently go down until they drop off. Back legs blend with that same combination into the furnishings. If I have time tommorrow and I think Iwill I will try to do a short video with my phone on the wedge, elbows and blending back leg. Start your eyebows right at the corner of the eye, make sure you using thinners at the top side of the eyebrow to blend into head. I hope I can remember I will try to get this on video for tomorrow.

Comment

I'm going to post pics of three I did today and they are far from perfect, (real life rushed grooming here people!) but as I've posted before I used to leave way too much hair on fringe, and shoulder area. And I've really been working on it. I'm including the fault color "choc Merle " overweight boy cause it's good to see real groom's on real dogs not just the retired champ like the first one, and if I get any tips from kat I will be tickled.

Comment

Thank you Kat, a video would be really helpful! I always have the same problems when I post these pics, so clearly there's a concept I'm not grasping. I'm a much more visual learner.

Comment

Lots of good advice above. Will add my 2 cents worth.
                    When trying to set the pattern line imagine that you are continuing your clippers off the widest part of the ribcage towards an imaginary line under the middle of the legs.
                    The head should look like a brick when you finish.se your comb to set the edges. Connect the dots as stated above for the beard, I shave the pattern and then use thinners to blend in the edges around the eye/cheek.

Legs---- lower the table so you are coming in from above and set your line with your blenders coming straight down from the shoulder. Flare our a little at the feet (and do them last) so you don't end up with toothpick feet. Do the same for the back of the front legs. Just remember that the front should be columns and the rear should have strong angulation. Terriers should always look like they are up on their toes and ready to run.

Comment

Thanks Itza! That's part of what I've been missing--pictures of correct schnauzer clips on very incorrect dogs. I do dozens of schnauzers a month, and I don't think I've ever seen even one who met the standard.

So now I'm putting out a request: give me pics of Schnauzer clips on poorly bred dogs! I want to see how this works on silky coats, fat bodies, or wonky legs.

Comment

This is a great thread. At my salon I only do one schnauzer with as low of a line as itzaclip posted (beautiful grooms btw). He gets a 15 all over, and has maybe an inch of "fringe" and his legs are about 2 comb length, so not quite proper I believe. Every one leaves the lines higher at my salon (like super high), so I don't want to make customers unhappy. But it great to see how they should look

Comment

I would just like to add to the "do the feet last" catagory. I tend to work from the top down on schnauzers, changing my angle several times depending on what body part I'm working on. I tend to do the face first, as a lot of dogs get cranky with the face. I figure if I get the wow factor for Mom and Dad done first then the rest falls into place easily.

Comment

Working...
                          X