show grooming a lowchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• show grooming a lowchen

i know there are some lowchen owners here, and i took in a lowchen a few months back. he has been growing out, as his last owner had been doing a shorter lion cut on him. i am wondering if anyone shows, or knows how to show groom a lowchen. i am mainly concerned on what to do with the mane. i have been trying to straighten his coat while drying, but he is kind of fluffy, and his coat is very soft. he is not going to be shown, but i may like to compete with him if i can.

any tips on products and technique would be great, thank you.

I show my 2 Lowchens. Of course the breed standard prohibits any scissoring or shaping of the long coat. The one thing that most Lowchen exhibitors do that noone likes to admit to doing is using a straightening iron. I fluff dry and then straight iron. The ironing really helps take the frizz out of the coat. A little bit of gel and spray to get the hair out of the eyes and you are ready. My special dog has a really fluffy coat and the straight iron makes the difference between him looking like a fluffy puppy and looking like a champion show dog.

Good luck.

Kat

Comment

I would like to here from others too as far as how to use this breed for grooming competition. I have competed with other dogs and I have always tried to groom to breed standard. The Lowchen breed standard absolutely prohibits scissoring or shaping of any kind. The breed groom is really quite simple and I can't see how it could be used for grooming competition. You can be disqualified in the show ring for presenting a trimmed coat.

Kat

Comment

thanks, and yeah i don't know about competing. i was hoping i might be able to compete with him, but i'm not sure. i realize the coat is not supposed to be scissored. that is part of the reason i am wondering what else may be involved, and if it is enough. maybe a modified trim???

Comment

Working...
        X