Grooming a Komondor?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooming a Komondor?????

Hey guys, I have a client who wants to start bringing in their Komondor. Only, how on earth do I do one??? She is actually getting her completely shaved down and starting over. So I guess my main question is, how do I start to properly cord her as her coat grows back? Any help on this would be great! Thanks!

If she is starting over, then you have it much easier. Let her matt, seperate the clumps and don't HV her. You want her to kennel/air dry.

If you have a hydrosurge then use it, if not soak her like a sweater, squeeze her out. Your going to need a lot of towels.
    Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

I got to do one this last christmas in full corded coat, Ugh took me forever to wash, she was going to start showing him this summer. She said that breeds use antibacterial soap, as they can mildew in the cords or so she told me.. Im not sure i would ever want to wash one again, wasnt enjoyable at all. But it was cool getting to see one in person.

Comment

In Addition to

all the good advice here, have you gone to a Comondor breeder website? Maybe they have grooming advice. I imagine the dog will feel very strange once the fur is gone. I think it would be interesting to see the before and after if you can offer us photos.

Comment

Komondor

I've never had the opportunity to work on one, but having worked on corded poodles I might guess they are similar. (I did speak to a big-wig in Komodor's prior to starting to do cords). When you wash them a bathing system will help !!!!! I have a recirculating system. Wash as many times until it rinses clean, Don't use alot of shampoo! It will stay in the coat. I have had to use some bleach in some bathes (for x-x-whitening). After you have thoroughly rinsed blot the coat to get all the water out. If the dog will lay on your table (on its side) you can use a stand dryer to dry and separate cords, but primarily, the dog will need to be dried by fans and warm air. Change the towels under it frequently. I hope the owner understands the time involved in doing this, your price should reflect it !
          In so far as setting the cords, just let it matt and then separate. Your fingers will get tired. Good luck!

Comment

We use to use a dash of 20 mule team borax mixed in with the rinse water to cut the moldy smell. With the hydrosurge we use a splash of vineager.
            Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

before/after

Here is a photo of "Honey" a 7 yr old bitch that is corded. A month or so ago, I took her down for the first time in her life. She was being shown, but since Kom entries are few and far between, she has not seen the ring in some time. Her owner struggled for 2 years with this decision. At nationals when/if you finish your dog there, for $1.00 you can cut a cord off the new champion and the money goes to rescue. This was told to me by Honeys owner after he said they have 2200 cords(+/-). "how would you know that?" I asked and then he explained. Enjoy the photos!
              Attached Files

Comment

Komondor

Any way you spell it, it is a big dog! Bigger than I remembered. I have never seen a shaved one before, but the dog is still a BIG dog.

Comment

are you still doing this dog? what does it look like now?

Comment

Can't you talk them out of a shave down? They look terrible shaved! I used to groom an entire family of them, if they went to long in between groomings, we just spent extra time splitting the cords. Good luck with your adventure!

Comment

I have a Komondor that comes in every couple of months for a shave down. They used to keep her in full cord when they lived in Germany but have found that the weather here is too damp and he never fully dried so he got all moldy (literally). So now they shave him down, when you see him shaved he looks just like a Labradoodle. I feel sorry for them to have such a grand dog and to be mistaken all the time for a mutt.
                      I suggested they get a fan he can sit in front of that might help in drying him out and with that and frequent visits to me we might be able to keep the moulding at bay. So far they're not going for it, but I mention it each time they come in.

Comment

[QUOTE=SFGroomer;296682]So now they shave him down, when you see him shaved he looks just like a Labradoodle. QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought when I saw 4sq's photos. Completely different dog.

Comment

Originally posted by 4sq View Post
                          At nationals when/if you finish your dog there, for $1.00 you can cut a cord off the new champion and the money goes to rescue. This was told to me by Honeys owner after he said they have 2200 cords(+/-). "how would you know that?"
                          That's so cool. I like that idea.

Comment

late post

Ok so I know this is a late response to the question........

When the cording process begins, the cords must be systematically separated as they form. Separate them all the way down to the skin and should be done about every 2 weeks. Regualr baths are needed while the cording process is being done. Squeeze the soap into the cords instead of rubbing the soap in, like we would for other dogs. Rinse...a bunch! Use a lemon rinse to cut the soap. Like everyone else said....air dry or kennel dry.

Comment

Working...
                            X