Hair,hair everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair,hair everywhere

I have a question about Keeshond. It's been years since I've had one as a customer and I was taught to do them with a pin brush followed by a wide toothed comb. Well I have a new customer who is coming every 3 months. I just did his second groom today. He is pretty well maintained, some packed coat in the mane and pants but otherwise not too bad. After a bath and blow-dry I went over him with the pin brush and comb, using a slicker on the shorter leg hair. I decided to go over him with a slicker to pick up any straggles that might be left and was amazed at the hair that was coming off. I think I could have brushed him for an hour and still had a ton of hair. I stopped as I didn't want to remove all the undercoat and leave him flat. The pin brush and comb were getting nothing more so was I correct to stop ?

Tr using a Miracle Coat brand small round black slicker. You will amaze yourself.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
      Tr using a Miracle Coat brand small round black slicker. You will amaze yourself.
      AHHH, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Miracle Coat slickers. They are amazing.

Comment

The small one works better than the large one.
        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

shepherdmom....assuming the dog is healthy in all other aspects, this IS the time of year for the seasonal "blowing" of undercoat.

Did you use an HV dryer on the dog? That makes a significant difference in the amount of hair you are left working out of the coat at the end. Of course w/ Keeshond, I use a post-rinse product to keep the coat from pilling up at the ends up as I dry.

I really don't find pin brushes very efficient at rapidly working out the undercoat, and prefer brushes like Smarten and Windfall were referring to, or I personally use a Les Pooch, and a steel toothed comb.

If I had been grooming the dog...I would have worked on it until all the loose undercoat was gone, even if the coat were to lay significantly flatter when finished. It is likely already regrowing underneath all that, and my Sibe's coats are completely replaced in 6 weeks w/ a slightly lighter Summer undercoat.

I have 1 Sibe that looks like a bear in the Winter...but currently more closely resembles a Saluki, as she has just blown her undercoat AND her guard hairs. In our Sibe world...our feeling is just Get The Dead Coat Out!

It's a totally normal cycling of the coat...but again...if all else is healthy with the dog.
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Use Nature's Specialties EZ Shed and your HV and you probably wont need to brush at all!

Comment

Sibes, yes I used the HV from soaking wet to finished drying. I used the stuff as well as brushing with the pin brush as I went along with the drying. When dry I went over with my comb until it was going through the coat smoothly. To the touch the dog felt wonderful. Smooth and silky, skin felt easily through the coat. I took my silver les pooch over the coat to pick up a few loose hairs laying on the top and to my amazement the slicker was full in a few swipes. So I started brushing away and kept getting more undercoat but the brush was pulling, not gliding and I was thinking it was acting more like when I'm using a coat king and pulling undercoat out that was not loose, but attached. I didn't want to remove all that undercoat and give the owner back a "flat" dog as she is very happy with her boy the way he is. I was just surprised and want to know if what I did was incorrect. I know most people want no shedding when the dog comes back from the groomer but when I ran my hands through his coat I wasn't getting anything coming out so figured he was done. I can only imagine what he's going to be like when he's blowing coat

Comment

shepmom....that sounds perfect then (what you did), and almost exactly what I would have done.
                3 things to keep in mind w/ these double-coated guys are when they come into us, alot of times their adrenaline is racing a bit...and that will drop coat (kind of like when you walk into the vet's office w/ your dog and it starts shedding profusely), and if you use warmer-vs-cooler water to bathe and rinse...that will stimulate a little more "droppage" for 24 to 48 hours post grooming, and shedding is a PROCESS...spread over several weeks, so unless you catch the dog at the very tail end of it...there will always be more, ready to come out.

I think you called it quits at the perfect time.

I personally LOVE The Stuff on these types of coats.
                My water does not rinse out the proper dilution of EZ Shed in a remotely reasonable period of time, and by the time I get it diluted down to the point it will rinse out...it's so diluted...it's pointless, lol!

I think ya done good.
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

When you were bathing the dog did you do any "wet brushing"? I use a recirc and find that if I add a squirt of Ice on Ice or Cowboy Magic to the water and brush as I am washing that it REALLY helps to get lots of coat out. If the dog has coat that has already blown and is packed down the results are amazing!!!! I will follow the bath w/using a glop of After Bath and a dab of IoI or CM w/the recirc and that also helps w/getting excess coat out plus makes the dog feel and smell really really good.

I use pin brushes for finish work on double coated dogs. I don't think they work very well for "deshedding". My purple LP brush is my fav tool on these kinds of dogs.
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                  X