Ital. Greyhound Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ital. Greyhound Question?

My daughter's friend walked in the other night with (what she described) as an Italian Greyhound Puppy. But, the dog was completely black and had a brown/tan 3-inch spot on one side of his face and black eyes. I blurted out 'I think he might be a mix of Italian Greyhound and something else' but, of course, she swore up and down it was a purebred.

Can someone clarify this? I thought greyhounds were...well, grey?

Funny

No Greyhounds are not Gray or Grey. If they look Gray they are actually called Blue. Any color is acceptable in the big Greyhounds. The little Italian Greyhounds for some reason are not to be shown if Brindled but many colors and patterns are fine.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Iggy color

Sounds like a color referred to as seal. Check out the Italian Greyhound Club of America website for the standard as to acceptable colors.

Comment

IG's come in a wide variety of colors. Fun little dogs, but almost impossible to completely housebreak. That is the only reason I don't have one.
        Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

IGGYs as we refer to them come in a wide variety of colors and patterns. at FCI or Internationally soli colores, minimal white is what is acceptable in conformation shows, for AKC dogs with alot of white can be shown. The only colors not allowed in a show ring is brindle and black and tan... you will rarely see one in these colors. Here is my Multi Ch girl Geena a few months before she passed away.

Comment

The term "greyhound" doesn't refer to color. There are a couple of theories on the origin of the name. At one time, it was believed by many people in England that the breed originated in Greece, so it was thought they originally called the breed "Greek Hound" which over time became greyhound. There's also the theory that the name is derived from the Celtic Gre-hunder. Gre the shortened version of greg or grech, meaning dog, and hunder, meaning hunter.

Comment

Gee

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X