Hunter the Irish Setter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter the Irish Setter

New client and first time for me not taking a blade to a Irish Setter. His name is Hunter and he is I think a year and a half if I recall. Was looking for advice and critiques to help me make him look his best. I would like to mention that he had some pretty nasty matting in areas. Namely his ears. I dematted what i could and spot shaved what I couldn't. Also I have no idea why his throat is bald. I asked the owner and she thinks it's from incessant drooling? Anyways, not my doing FYI. Any advice to help with that also would be phenomenal. I carded the jacket with a coat king and stripping knife. Did the same on the top knot. Dropped the ear with a reverse 10. Bulked thinned some of the crazy colics to try to get them to lay flat. Besides sacking the coat, how else can I help get the jacket to lay tight to the body? Hope to hear from Tom. With out further adou........Ta-da! LOL
    Attached Files
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Bumping thread.
    Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Critiques please!!!!
      Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Is it that bad? I know it's not that good that there are NO critiques. HELP!!! He will be coming back for his next groom soon and I was hoping for some helpful advice. TIA
        Henry David Thoreau

Comment

He looks nice and natural to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lillypeanut View Post
            He looks nice and natural to me.
            Thank you. He just has this super colicy coat with all these spinnies. You know what I mean? Perhaps it's going to take a few grooms to train the coat and it's that simple.
            Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I amazed that Tom hasn't given you some pointers on this. He is our resident Irish Setter expert afterall.

I, personally, have trouble with their feet and could use some pointers on that. The lighter undercoat is so hard to blend with the dark topcoat.

As far as making the coat lie flat, I really think it is an everyday process rather then an every month process. Those show dogs have their coats stripped and sacked all the time from my understanding. I think it would be difficult to expect to get that look with the brief amount of time we see these dogs.
              However, I could be wrong on this. Tom???

Comment

Bumping thread.
                Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
                  I amazed that Tom hasn't given you some pointers on this. He is our resident Irish Setter expert afterall.

I, personally, have trouble with their feet and could use some pointers on that. The lighter undercoat is so hard to blend with the dark topcoat.

As far as making the coat lie flat, I really think it is an everyday process rather then an every month process. Those show dogs have their coats stripped and sacked all the time from my understanding. I think it would be difficult to expect to get that look with the brief amount of time we see these dogs.
                  However, I could be wrong on this. Tom???
                  Thanks Dogma. I think you are right in that it's just going to be training the coat to lay properly. Whether or not I'll be able to accomplish that in seeing him 6 times a year we'll have to wait and see.
                  Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Beautiful! My mom has Gordon Setters

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X