Bath vs. Full Groom on Goldens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bath vs. Full Groom on Goldens

Need a little input on Goldens. What do you all consider a "full groom" on a Golden (we are NOT talking shave downs here) and be specific please on what you do. Also, without disclosing actual prices, can you tell me your price differential between a bath and brush and a full groom? Over time I have begun to do alot more that just a "bath and brush" (which includes sanitary and trimming up the feet) for many of my clients. I need to adjust my pricing and trying to get a feel for how much additional most of you charge for a full groom and what you consider to be a full groom. The obvious answer is how much longer does it take but I just want to know if I am in line with the norm. Thanks.

Every golden I groom is at the very least a bath and trim. I've only met one owner in my 15 years that liked the slipper feet. So the basic grooming on a Golden for me and bath, brush out, trim nails, clean ears, trim feet, thin out ears. Then the next step up we used to call the B&B Heavy trim. These were for the owners who wanted more trim work done, such as the hindquarters, feathering, tummy and chest. There was a $5 price difference between the two types of grooms just because it took a little longer to do the heavy trim. Before I went to work for my old boss I never did sani's on G Ret. It was what she did so I had to until the say someone called and said I had caused a 4 inch deep gash. My boss told them to bring the dog in for us to see and it was a red spot caused by irritation. The dog was simply too sensitive for the clip and after that she decided no more sani's on G Ret anymore. So I was happy to go back to not doing it
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Hi - I divy my price list into Short Hair Bath, Long Hair Bath, and Grooms. So a Golden, that is not a shave down, is in the Long hair bath category and that includes minor trimming - feet, bottom, feathers, maybe ears. I do not just bathe goldens (or other long hair dogs) they always include the minor trim. I do not want to send a dog out of my shop with hair on it's feet and have the owner tell someone it was just "groomed" or "bathed" and have the other person think "who the heck did that dog and left all that hair on it's feet!"

(one exception, let's say someone brings their golden in EVERY WEEK, then I would just charge the short hair bath price ($10 less than with minor trim) and do the minor trim every 3rd or 4th time.

Honestly, shaving a golden and doing the long hair bath/minor trim take me about the same amount of time, but I charge about 48% more to shave one down to discourage people from doing it. And it is more wear & tear on my equipment.

So say, for example, and this is NOT what I charge, a bath & minor = $30, but a shave on one would be $44 (I charge more than that, but it gives you an idea of the cost difference.)

Comment

For me, a bath on a Golden includes: Deshed during bath, hand dry, trim feet, ears, small sani clip if needed, thin pants and bib lightly with thinners if requested. If clipping, I add $10 to $15 to the bath and tidy price. I find the majority of the time spent is in getting the dog ready for clipping, it really doesn't take that long to run a clipper over the body.
        Last edited by Cat Crazy; 04-27-10, 04:42 PM. Reason: clarify my thought
        "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

A 'full groom' on a golden for us: trim feet, shave pads, clean and even up ears tail ect..thin out the rear end...nails...With the shorter haired goldens that have alot of hairs that stick out we will shave them off, and even up the long haired goldens with extensions..
          our bath vs groom is about 10$

Comment

I do not have a bather . For me any double coated dog that needs desheding and trimming or heavy deshedding is a full groom not a bath. Goldens that come to me always need desheding and trim.
            They get bathed, conditioned, nails trimmed, ears cleaned, brushed out, carded, feet, feathers and ears trimmed. It runs about two - two and a half shih tzus. Same price for shave down. If owners want something in between, like an inch left it is about three shih-tzus because I have to deal with undercoat and then do a haircut as well.

Comment

Bath and brushout: Bath, nails, pads, ears, hocks, feet.

Full Groom: all of the above plus any kind of trimming they need.

The price difference can be roughly 15 dollars depending on the coat and it's condition.
              ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
              Apparently common sense isn't all that common
              *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Our "Full Groom" on a Golden is exactly that - bath, brush, nails, ears, pads and a full trim on the furnishings, feet and chest.

Comment

This is the way I price my goldens:

bath & tidy(nails, ears, feet/pads, even up any longer scragglies, light trim on ears, brush out but no intense de-shedding) : base price

bath & deshed(same as above + deshedding with furminator tool & solution): base price + $5-$15 extra, depends on how much extra time/shedding

full groom(bath & tidy stuff + shortening of all feathers and an allover neaten up with my 26 tooth thinners): base price + $15-$25

full groom & deshed(bath & tidy stuff + full groom stuff + deshedding with furminator & tool): base price + $20-$30

Comment

I don't do "bath only" on hairy dogs

I don't know why you would put a Golden into a "bath only" category, because they are almost NEVER just a bath and brush. That would be for a Lab or Beagle that doesn't require deshedding.

I do not offer just baths for hairy dogs. I need to do things on them to make them look right, and those things take time. I don't care if the owner things it is "just a bath", the owner is not a groomer. So to me, it is a "bath and tidy".

That's my take, anyway.

Comment

B & B = bath, clean ears, hand dry, brush/comb out, hocks, nails, pads and foot trim, mini sani and brief deshedding

Full groom = same as above plus edging ears with thinners and trimming the long hair on the ear, trimming and shaping the underline and tail, skimming the britches, skimming ruff as needed, trimming scragglies and deshedding.

The difference is $12.50.

I've named the trims. For some Golden owners who aren't sure what should be done it seems to help them pick. A B & B is the L.L. Bean and the full groom is the Country Squire. Most pick the Country Squire.

Comment

Bath = bath, nails, ear cleaning, 15 minutes of brushing/deshed work

Bath and tidy = all the above + sani, feet, and overall clean up round the edges (coat length stays the same)

Full Groom = all the above + clipping to desired length

each step up the ladder costs about $10 for a dog that size. A deshed treatment is about $25ish. If you pick up scissors or clippers it is not a bath. If you take the clippers to some place other than the feet, its a groom.

example (not real prices)
                        bath, tidy and deshed = 30+10+25 = 65
                        Bath and groom = 30+10+10 = 50

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
                          I don't know why you would put a Golden into a "bath only" category, because they are almost NEVER just a bath and brush. That would be for a Lab or Beagle that doesn't require deshedding.

I do not offer just baths for hairy dogs. I need to do things on them to make them look right, and those things take time. I don't care if the owner things it is "just a bath", the owner is not a groomer. So to me, it is a "bath and tidy".

That's my take, anyway.
                          I agree. I don't do a bath only on the hairy dogs. If I'm doing it, I'm doing it right and making the dog look and feel great.
                          "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Bath - bath, brush, nails, ears (I don't do these, the kennel staff does)
                            Mini - Bath, deshed, brushout, nails, ears, sani, trim feet and tail, thin out rear/ears
                            Full - Anything above and beyond a Mini, including scissor trims and snap-on comb trims
                            Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

Ditto what Debbidogs said.

Comment

Working...
                              X