Long haired German Shepherd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dayzeemay View Post
    Are these the same as Shiloh shepherds or am I way off?
    I don't know if there's a relation, but they are a separate breed. Same as King Shepherds. (I am pretty sure on the first two sentences lol! I don't know all my stuff) The German Shepherd comes in their regular coat, and a long haired version. The long haired German Shepherd Dog is the same breed as a smooth coat though
    amanda
    ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

Comment

Can a Short coat have a long coat in the same litter? Like a furry corgi? I've seen some long haired ones come in.

Comment

We have one that comes for day-care at my work. She is just a beauty and the sweetest thing going.

Comment

Can a Short coat have a long coat in the same litter? Like a furry corgi? I've seen some long haired ones come in.
          Not sure about that one. Good question!
          amanda
          ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

Comment

They can. My females last litter was 14 (yes, 14!) All survived and 3 were short coated,11 long!

Comment

I'm guessing that having both long haired and short haired GSD in one littler is a possibility.
              In Collies you can have both Rough and Smooth Colies in one little depending on the parents genetic make up....or Factors.

My Collies are not Smooth factored....they are however Tri Factored and White factored....so I could possibly produce ( even though they are sables) get Tri's, Whites and of course Sables in one litter. Furthermore, IF they were Smooth facored...even though they are Rough Collies.....they could produce Smooth Collies.

Comment

I am getting a white GS and he is long haired. Can't wait!! He will be 8 weeks and I am getting him for protection. For me and the 3 female fur babies.
                I love this breed!

Comment

Best of luck with your new German Shepherd! I have owned 3 in the past 30 years..I could not be without mine. Her name is Roxie, 10 years old, she is The life of our house, always ready to do whatever we want to do..she always wants to be working..She is always looking for bad guys around our property and thanks to her non have ever bothered us...I love the breed..

Comment

Originally posted by NeveahsMommy View Post
                    I don't know if there's a relation, but they are a separate breed. Same as King Shepherds. (I am pretty sure on the first two sentences lol! I don't know all my stuff) The German Shepherd comes in their regular coat, and a long haired version. The long haired German Shepherd Dog is the same breed as a smooth coat though
                    The Shilo is all GSD. They are simply a line that a lady started that are more like the old style of GSD. She bred for larger dogs with a more level topline & the longer coat. Shilo's still produce short coats too. Kings are a GSD cross with a Newfie. Long coated GSD's used to be called "Dutch Shepherds" by some of the oldtimers.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                      The Shilo is all GSD. They are simply a line that a lady started that are more like the old style of GSD. She bred for larger dogs with a more level topline & the longer coat. Shilo's still produce short coats too. Kings are a GSD cross with a Newfie. Long coated GSD's used to be called "Dutch Shepherds" by some of the oldtimers.
                      No, shilohs are a different breed. They don't allow GSD outcrosses, so they can't just be a large GSD, or an outcross would produce all shilohs. I believe it was a malamute used to get the bigger size and body type. Straight from the breed website "In the 1980’s, a German Shepherd breeder from western New York state began to visualize a specific type of shepherd dog; one that was larger, calmly tempered and possessed better hips than the norm. Through breeding a specific type, introducing a northern breed to the gene pool, and educating the public on the benefits of x-raying hips, the Shiloh Shepherd was “born” and formally recognized as a breed of dog by FIC in 1990 and ARBA in 1991."

Notice the introduction of the Northern breed mentioned in there?

King Shepherds were Shilohs to begin with, but the founder of the breed had strict rules about breeding, so this particular breeders line had to be renamed because of a lawsuit.

Dutch Shepherds are an entirely different breed of dog, bred out of Holland. They're very closely related to Malinois, but come in Brindle and Blue. They can throw a fawn too and have longhaired and wirehaired dogs, but they are not GSDs.

Comment

From the standard;
                        Coat
                        The Shepherd is normally a dog with a double coat, the amount of undercoat varying with the season of the year and the proportion of the time the dog spends out of doors. It should, however, always be present to a sufficient degree to keep out water, to insulate against temperature extremes, and as a protection against insects. The outer coat should be as dense as possible, hair straight, harsh and lying close to the body. A slightly wavy outer coat, often of wiry texture, is equally permissible. The head, including the inner ear, foreface, and legs and paws are covered with short hair, and the neck with longer and thicker hair. The rear of forelegs and hind legs has somewhat longer hair extending to the pastern and hock respectively.
                        Faults in coat include complete lack of any undercoat, soft, silky or too long outer coat and curly or open coat.
                        Colour
                        The German Shepherd Dog differs widely in colour. Generally speaking, strong, rich colours are to be preferred, with definite pigmentation, and without appearance of a washed-out colour. White dogs are to be disqualified.

The dog the OP is describing is a bi-colour, long coat. Long coats are common, can appear in any litter if the parents carry the gene, and are undesireable to breeders adhering to the standard. However, they still make lovely pets.
                        "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

This is RiverRyan's SuperSport. He's a richly pigmented sable with a correct coat.
                          Attached Files
                          "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

I stand corrected!!

Comment

There are significant face/structural differences between a Belgian Groenendael or Turvuren and a Long Coated German Shepherd. Yes, GSD come long coated, and in bi-colour or solid colours.

Comment

Working...
                              X