Long haired German Shepherd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long haired German Shepherd

Had a customer bring me her dog today, and she claimed it was a medium-long haired shepherd. It looked like a Belgian Shepherd to me, but she was pretty sure it was a German Shepherd. The dog was mostly black, with tan feet. Is this possible??

A "Belgian Sheepdog" (Groenendael) is solid black with a longish coat on it.

A "Belgian Tervuren" is red-sable with a longish coat on it.

There is a long-haired strain of GSDs. Very early standards list a short-haired variety (what you see today on most GSDs), a long-haired and wire-haired variety as well.

Don't know what happened to the wire-haired Shep strain (I read they were very rare from the get-go), but long-hairs are still with us. And I'm guessing what you saw may well have been a long-haired German Shepherd, not a Belgian anything.

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting a long-haired German Shepherd once. She had 5-6 inches of incredibly plush coat. I was absolutely in love with her. The owner was also the breeder, and was producing very consistent looking shepherds, all with glorious long hair.

Comment

Yes, there is a such thing. Those, and the black GSDs are my favorites
        amanda
        ~You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back~

Comment

Meet Titus. http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...9/DSCF8245.jpg This pic does not do him justice. He is beautiful, sweet, and a total goober to groom.
          Did yours look like this guy?

Comment

Yup!

and I CRINGE when I hear "long coated shepherd" I'll do most chows over long haired shepherds... hehe... I just find they are wimpy and the owners never take care of all that hair....

Comment

Yep pretty much did although his coat was black with hints of sable in it when he was clean. Even the owners didn't realize he had sable in his coat. Should have taken a picture of him. He was beautiful when I was done.

Comment

Thanks for all your input, has helped me greatly. The owners did tell me their dog was ex-police dog, wasn't aggressive enough for police work. He was a beauty to work on. Good news is he is now a regular customer of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy in the Sky View Post
                  Meet Titus. http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...9/DSCF8245.jpg This pic does not do him justice. He is beautiful, sweet, and a total goober to groom.
                  Did yours look like this guy?
                  Oh Lucy. Could he be any cuter at all? My goodness. You get to groom this guy? Lucky you! Thank you for posting. I've never seen a long haired GS.

Comment

Hi
                    yes, this is totaly possible i own a long haired jet black shepherd and as for the one you are describing in your post i do loads of these type of dogs they are very popular here but you dont see many true blacks or whites. but in saying that i do 2 pure white long haired shepherds they are just beautiful when there all done . my atila is now 8 years old and she gets fully deshed every friday night if i did not do this she would be a massive fur ball . but i also shave her belly and bum off it does look a little funny but im totaly used to it now the reason i do that is because we walk farm land/ woodland and its just easyier to keep the dog clean as they do come in to the house . i posted you a picture its of atila a day after i had fully groomed her (bath ect) its when we were out walking and she decided to have a splash around in a cow dung puddle yes you heard right a sxxt puddle i nearly cryed. but she was having a great time
                    i will post pics of her next full groom i do , when shes done she realy does look lovely .

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/z...a/salon007.jpg

Comment

My friend at work has a long haired GS. Click image for larger version

Name:	rewarwer.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1119521

Comment

Edit: Double posted
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yes there is such a beautiful animal! I am a long time german shepherd mom and my two I have now are have long hair. Izzy is black and red and Summer is sable. Just fabulous!
                          Enjoy that baby!

Comment

yup,they exist

My family is owned by seven!! Beautiful! I need to figure out how to post pics of our "herd"!

Comment

Are these the same as Shiloh shepherds or am I way off?

Comment

Working...
                              X