Did you know. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know. . .

that the Shepherd has the second strongest bite at 238 lbs. and that the Rottie is the only breed that has a stronger bite.

And I thought the pit has the strongest bite. . . boy was I wrong.

You can learn all this and more just by watching Dog 101 on Animal Planet Saturdays at 8
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

I watched the very end of the show. Saw some stuff about corgie's. And then saw the recap. I need to remember that it's on every week.

Comment

Nope. I did not know that.

However, I recently read that EVERY YEAR approximately 4.5 million people are bitten by a dog. 800,000 of those bites are serious enough to require medical attention.

The University of Tennessee Veterinary program has some educational information for children regarding dog bite prevention on this link:

http://www.vet.utk.edu/dogbiteprevention/

Joy

Comment

ooohh yeah...

I'm Very familiar with the shepherd bite. The last one fractured my wrist =(
        "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

pits are being banned everywhere not just from a bite.....they don't give up during an attack and VERY hard to get them to release their bite! Our city just adopted new bully breed laws cause while 2 mothers were taking their babies for a walk in their wagon, a pitbull came up and ripped the scalp off one of the little babies. The mother tried to get the dog off and she also got attacked. Was such a sad story all around!

Comment

Why am I not surprised that the shepard has the strongest bite. Where were dobies on the list?
            Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

i knew there was a reason why i was more cautious of the G.shep and the rotties. i have 3 pits and they are all sweet dogs i do agree that if they bite they won't let go that easy just because they are stubborn and not because they lock their jaw like some of us think! remember the breed is not bad it's the owners that make them bad!

Comment

Breed bans

I hate seeing breeds banned. I would so much rather see the owners banned. They just go on to the next "ego puppy" and leave the people who love the last flavour of the week to pick up the pieces. In thirty+ years with dogs I've seen Shepherds, Dobermans, Pits, Rotties, ABDs, AmStaffs, Bull Terriers, and a few rare "power" breeds all trashed and defamed. Arrest the owners, actually sentence them to some serious jail time, and ban them from future dog ownership. Attach AC fines to driver's licenses and see how fast they shape up. When a dog attack occurs, the victim and the dog pay the price. The one who SHOULD be punished usually get off with little or no consequences. Sorry if I'm ranting...
                "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

No wonder German Shepards make me nervous. I still work with the breed but I am extremely cautious and I really have never understood why. Now I know its just basic survival instinct. I don't even remember the last time I saw a rottie, but I usually just think of them as giant teddy bears, I've never even had one so much as snarl at me.

Comment

German Shepherds

Originally posted by grooming goddess View Post
                    No wonder German Shepards make me nervous. I still work with the breed but I am extremely cautious and I really have never understood why. Now I know its just basic survival instinct. I don't even remember the last time I saw a rottie, but I usually just think of them as giant teddy bears, I've never even had one so much as snarl at me.
                    I've had two terrible bites fom a GSD. Both bred by the same person. Breeding, environment, neglect and just plain stupidity contributed to both incidents. My contribution was arrogance and inattention (is that a word?). Most of my clients are GSDs and so are my family dogs. They're great. Smart, stable, loyal and loving. Like any dog, they can be ruined and therefore dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by fiveoclockdog View Post
                      I hate seeing breeds banned. I would so much rather see the owners banned. They just go on to the next "ego puppy" and leave the people who love the last flavour of the week to pick up the pieces. In thirty+ years with dogs I've seen Shepherds, Dobermans, Pits, Rotties, ABDs, AmStaffs, Bull Terriers, and a few rare "power" breeds all trashed and defamed. Arrest the owners, actually sentence them to some serious jail time, and ban them from future dog ownership. Attach AC fines to driver's licenses and see how fast they shape up. When a dog attack occurs, the victim and the dog pay the price. The one who SHOULD be punished usually get off with little or no consequences. Sorry if I'm ranting...
                      >>>>

Bravo! I'm in total agreement.

Comment

Exactly!!!! Couldn't have said it better myself!

Years ago a trainer in my town in Florida was pushing St. Poodles as "THE" dog to use for guard. He said that because of their intelligence and personality that they were perfect. They could turn off the training and be a perfect family pet, whereas other breeds, once trained in guard, were sometimes not the best family pets (his words). He also claimed that SP's had one of the stronger bites as well. Anyone else ever hear this? I just have never seen a St. Poodle used as a trained guard dog and wonder at his philosophy.
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

I don't remember if it is our whole state our or county but on the news last month there was a bill proposal about banning certain people from owning certain dogs. Any person convicted of a dangerous felony or that had served jail time would not be allowed to own a dog over 25 lbs. The polititon had said it was because these dos are often used as guard dogs, but are not properly trained for it, leading to all these cases of dogs gone wild. I hope it passes. My pitbull has suffered enough stigma. She is 11 and has never done anything wrong, and everyday someone tells me she'll turn on me one day.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                            He also claimed that SP's had one of the stronger bites as well. Anyone else ever hear this?
                            I do a Standard every 4 weeks, sweetest dog in the world, but has a serious leash infatuation. The receptionist forgot to take the leash off and 3 of us tried to pry her jaws open to give up the leash and none of us could get her to open her mouth and release it, finally I thought, hey maybe she'll drop it if I put her in the tub, which she did, but I still can't believe that we couldn't get her mouth open. My family's always had big dogs and at one point in time or another we've had to take some mistaken "toy" away from them and I've never had that much trouble. As far as how they compare to other breeds, and how truthful his statement really is I'm not sure, but just wanted to share my experience.

Comment

Did you see who's listed as 3rd place?

Did you all that watched see that the Golden is rated 3rd on the biter list?I've never had a Golden even look at me sideways.Maybe I've been lucky, but I was very surprised.The show blamed this on over breeding the Goldens.

Comment

Working...
                              X