Springer Skirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springer Skirts

Hi there wise ones.....need your expertise once again. I am having trouble getting the pattern right for springer furnishings. I am leaving the line too high and I am seem to be nervous to take it too low. In some of my books it shows it higher and some fluff on the butt while in others it doesn't. One client I have likes a long skirt and I feel like if I put it too low it will look like a bed skirt. So any pictures of springer bums and skirts or any advice on how to judge where the lines should be would be greatly appreciated!

Springer skirts are pretty low. you want to come all the way down around the rib cage. Does this pick help? Fifth dog down
    http://www.fourpawspamvh.com/PhotoGallery.html

Comment

Originally posted by PamperedPup View Post

In some of my books it shows it higher and some fluff on the butt while in others it doesn't.
      You'll be happy to know most owners don't read "the books".

Just ask the owners how THEY want their dogs trimmed and to heck with the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post

Just ask the owners how THEY want their dogs trimmed and to heck with the books.
        GREAT comment, I Love It!

As for OP's question.....I go with the dog's coat & conformation. Some have gorgeous silky hair that ya can just blend it nice, others are thick cotton that the more ya take off, the better.

Go with the flow

Comment

While this is true, it helps to have some sort of knowledge as to how they SHOULD look, just in case the customer specifically asks for a breed profile.

The line is very low indeed, with a full chest. One of the most common mistakes I see is completely taking the hock down. This should help:

http://www.caninereference.com/canin...256E710009E72A
          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

A lot different than years ago...

Many years ago springers, believe it or not, were actually used for hunting!! Their coats weren't has profuse as we see these days. When I was at a show a few weeks ago I stayed to watch the groups (because my guy was in the hound group - last that day) and was checking out grooming styles. The springer that was in the group was gorgeous, but looked actually scultped!! Furnishing were excessively scissored - not a hair out of place, even the furnishings between the rear legs were blunt cut about 3 inches from the floor. The skirt was low, but stripped, not clippered. I know that's a "show dog", but wow...what a lot of work!!

Comment

Originally posted by Petekids View Post
              Many years ago springers, believe it or not, were actually used for hunting!! Their coats weren't has profuse as we see these days. When I was at a show a few weeks ago I stayed to watch the groups (because my guy was in the hound group - last that day) and was checking out grooming styles. The springer that was in the group was gorgeous, but looked actually scultped!! Furnishing were excessively scissored - not a hair out of place, even the furnishings between the rear legs were blunt cut about 3 inches from the floor. The skirt was low, but stripped, not clippered. I know that's a "show dog", but wow...what a lot of work!!
              The breed has changed all out of reason over the years. "Sculpted" is a mild description, and "exaggeration" is the name of the game.

Check out the photos below. One is a winner from the current era, the other Ch. Chinoe's Adamant James, twice winner of BIS at Westminster forty years ago now.

"D.J."'s dad, Ch. Salilyn's Aristocrat had even less coat and rear angulation than D.J. had, but both were viewed as fine in both departments.

Today both D.J. and Risto would be shown the gate. What a shame.
              Attached Files

Comment

The breed has changed all out of reason over the years. "Sculpted" is a mild description, and "exaggeration" is the name of the game.

Check out the photos below. One is a winner from the current era, the other Ch. Chinoe's Adamant James, twice winner of BIS at Westminster forty years ago now.

"D.J."'s dad, Ch. Salilyn's Aristocrat had even less coat and rear angulation than D.J. had, but both were viewed as fine in both departments.

Today both D.J. and Risto would be shown the gate. What a shame.
                I remember D.J. . . . has it really been 40 years already? (I also owned a littermate of Jester's Jack0in-the-Box.)

Comment

Working...
                X