Cocker with a topnot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocker with a topnot

When you have a client that doesnt want the head sheved do you still do the 1/3 of the ear? I think it looks better . I did one the other day and the owner remarked hmm Ive never seen it like that before.she liked it though.I was just wondering what everone else does.

I do Ckr ears unless they want it done differently. A way that a lot of my clients like for me to do the ears is I take a 3 or 4 skiptooth over entire outside of ear and trim the outside. I usually run a 10 or 15 on the inside leather to clean it up. It gives them a puppish look.
    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Not sure I understand your point....a cocker with a proper crown has the top portion of the ears shaved.....are you talking a proper cocker head like these???

http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_charm...20/133537.html

http://groomwise.typepad.com/groomin...an-cock-1.html

Or are you talking about something totally different???
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

NO, that lady wanted her head "untouched" so she looked like don king.I put it in a pony tail while she waited for her mom to come back.I dont like that look. I like the regular cocker head this dogs top is about 6 inches long.I di a 15 inside her ears and btw they were the worst ears ever yuck! mom knew it and didnt seem concerned .I was told not to clean infected ears so the vet can do a swab and get a proper reading ,but I cant tell anyone at my shop that. thats another issue. but anyhow this dog looked funny.

Comment

also its the whole head covered in hair,she gets it clipped from the back of the neck down the back.no crown her whole head.

Comment

In my shop, it wouldn't have matter about ears. I wouldn't do that type of head. I also clean ears. PERIOD> I cannot get a good groom with nasty ears. The vet will get down in there to see the ear even if I clean it. I sometimes send a swab of "gunk" in a small ziplock bag (jewelery findings bags) for them to have it, but never had a vet yet tell me to stop. The only reason to leave them is if they HURT the dog, then I am not grooming it anyway.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

And how about the ones that want the "beard" left untouched? We have a selection of those as regulars.

And of those at our shop who do not want their dogs (plus ears) stripped from nose-to-toes with a #7 or #9, the vast majority do not want traditional spaniel ears with the top part shaved. They ask for the ears left natural, or only skimmed to tidy them up.

Yesterday was actually the first time in months I actually did a real spaniel ear on a Cocker. The owners had to place the dog and asked me to "clean him up a bit" before his new owner picked him up. "Jack" looked like a small, black musk ox when he walked in.

Fortunately, he had a one-in-a-million Cocker coat and 99% of the matting blew out in the tub. I put him in a show trim with a half crown and spaniel ears. "Mom" didn't think it was the same dog and the new owner was thrilled as well.

Comment

I do what the client wants and bite my tongue-especially with cockers-my own breed. I do stress the importance of keeping the ear area short to allow as much air in as possible. Since this dog has problem ears, I would for sure do the proper cocker ear cut and tell them why.

One of my puppies went to Canada, and my friend grooms her. Abbie has a full head of hair-Karen calls it the "Kitsilano Do". She has also bred and shown cockers, and she hates doing it-but ya gotta please those clients.
                Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                  I also clean ears. PERIOD> I cannot get a good groom with nasty ears.
                  Gee, it's a good thing you never groomed Bonnie, the Cocker who breathed through her ear.

But seriously, if you can't see the ear drum, and the ears are a mess, you shouldn't touch 'em. No matter what you think the vet can or cannot do, if that ear drum is ruptured you're pushing infected material deeper into the ear structures. And it's a very short trip down those structures to the brain.

Sorry, and I know there are many who will disagree, but treating ear infections is not our job, and we should just leave 'em alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    Gee, it's a good thing you never groomed Bonnie, the Cocker who breathed through her ear.

But seriously, if you can't see the ear drum, and the ears are a mess, you shouldn't touch 'em. No matter what you think the vet can or cannot do, if that ear drum is ruptured you're pushing infected material deeper into the ear structures. And it's a very short trip down those structures to the brain.

Sorry, and I know there are many who will disagree, but treating ear infections is not our job, and we should just leave 'em alone.
                    Helly, you keep bringing up that ONE dog out of how many? YES it might be an issue once in a lifetime, but so far, in 14 years and I don't know how many dogs, it hasn't been for me. I also never said I would groom the dog, I said, or at least meant, that if I cannot clean the ears I CANNOT groom the dog. I do not send dogs out with nasty ears and a groom. I also think that that dog's owner would WARN a groomer. I have ONE dog out of all the ones I have ever groomed who had a perforated ear drum and the owners knew it and warned me. I refused to groom until I had the all clear from a vet.

If the ears are like that described above, they need a vet not a groomer. BUT on my chronic ear infection dogs, I clean ears. I have very few of them any longer. I believe its because I clean them the way I do each and every groom. Could be that I just have better kept dogs than most.

Comment

Working...
                    X